Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley won’t run for the re-electionSeptember 8th, 2010 - 8:26 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Chicago, Sep 8 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The mayor of Chicago has announced that the time “just feels right” for him to bring his 21-year rule of the third largest city of America to an end. As a result, the mayor has announced that he will not be running for another term when his current term expires.
The mayor who is 68 years old says that he had been considering the decision for several months now and he says for some weeks now, he is convinced it is the right decision to make. Daley announced his decision when he met the press. Also present at the press conference was his wife, Maggie Daley who was smiling all through the press conference.
Daley who sounded confident of his decision called the decision “personal” and said he and his family will begin a “new phase” in their lives.
The announcement however was not surprising to many people. Several people suspected the mayor may not run again when he chose not to declare his intention for running for the office again. His wife, Maggie is struggling with cancer and it is believed Daley is dropping out of the race to be with her.
Like Daley, his father, Richard J. Daley also ruled Chicago for 21 years until he died in 1976 of heart attack. So when Daley was elected the mayor in 1989, the name, Daley became common in the city.
With Daley out of the race now, Which House Chief of Staff, Rahm Emanuel may see his dream of becoming the mayor of Chicago come into pass. In April, Rahm indicated in a television interview that he will like to be the mayor of Chicago some time.
- Mayor Daley Calls It Quits After 20 Years - Sep 08, 2010
- Rahm Emanuel wants to become the Mayor of Chicago - Apr 21, 2010
- Rahm Emanuel Desires To Occupy The Post Of The Chicago Mayor - Apr 21, 2010
- Ex-aide Obama wins Chicago mayoral vote - Feb 23, 2011
- Illinois SC allows Rahm Emanuel to run for Chicago's Mayor post - Jan 28, 2011
- Illinois Appellate Court Bars Rahm Emanuel From Contesting In Elections For Mayor - Jan 25, 2011
- Rahm Emanuel wins Chicago Mayor bid with over 50 percent votes - Feb 23, 2011
- Rahm Emanuel Reveals His Political Aspirations - Apr 21, 2010
- Rahm Emanuel departs as White House Chief of Staff - Oct 02, 2010
- Democratic Supreme Court puts Rahm Emanuel Back on Mayor Ballot - Jan 26, 2011
- Rahm Emanuel ruled ineligible for appearing on mayor's ballot by Illinois appeals court - Jan 25, 2011
- Obama faces uphill re-election climb, says ex-aide - Oct 10, 2011
- Rahm Emanuel Allowed To Run For Mayor Finally - Jan 28, 2011
- Rahm Emanuel Resigns As Chief Of Staff - Oct 02, 2010
- US court disqualifies Emanuel from contesting Chicago's mayor post over residency issues - Jan 25, 2011
Tags: cancer, chicago mayor, chief of staff, heart attack, intention, maggie daley, mayor of chicago, mayor richard m daley, rahm emanuel, richard m daley, right decision, television interview, wife maggie