Chhattisgarh’s lone Congress MP lobbying for ministerial berthMay 23rd, 2009 - 2:37 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, May 23 (IANS) Congress’ lone Lok Sabha MP in Chhattisgarh Charandas Mahant is lobbying hard in New Delhi to get a ministerial berth in the Manmohan Singh government, party sources said here Saturday.
Mahant, who is also the working president of the party’s state unit, defeated ruling Bharatiya Janata Party’s national vice president and niece of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Karuna Shukla, by 21,000 votes in the newly-formed Korba constituency. The Congress managed to win just one of the state’ 11 seats.
“Mahant is exploiting all his political contacts in New Delhi and projecting himself a champion of Congress in Chhattisgarh as he won the lone seat for the party in the state where the Congress is out of power since December 2003,” a top source in the party told IANS.
“This is the third time Mahant has made it to the Lok Sabha. His close associates are trying to convince the party central leadership that the Congress will bounce back in the state if he is accommodated in the government. In the previous Congress-led government, the state’s lone Lok Sabha MP Ajit Jogi too was left out from the ministry and Chhattisgarh had no representation in the central government,” the source said.
In 2004 Lok Sabha polls, former chief minister Jogi was the lone winner for the Congress from Mahasamund seat. The party increased its tally to two in April 2007 by winning Rajnandgaon seat in a by-poll.
But the source added: “A strong section in the state unit, who belong to the anti-Mahant camp, are equally doing their best to ensure he is left out. Mahant’s opponents are pitching for one of the two party’s senior leaders and Rajya Sabha MPs Motilal Vora and Mohsina Kidwai.”
- Congress appoints office bearers in Chhattisgarh - Oct 04, 2011
- BJP ahead in 10 of Chhattisgarh's 11 seats (Lead) - May 16, 2009
- Vajpayee's niece, Jogi's wife lose in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - May 16, 2009
- 'Raman effect': BJP wins 10 of Chhattisgarh's 11 seats (Second Lead) - May 16, 2009
- Old rivals to fight on new Chhattisgarh turf - Mar 23, 2009
- BJP member files nomination for Rajya Sabha polls - Jun 02, 2010
- Congress to review poll debacle in Chhattisgarh - Jun 17, 2009
- Presidential polls: Fear of poaching haunts Chhattisgarh parties - Jul 10, 2012
- Congress stunned in Chhattisgarh, but gets new hero - May 17, 2009
- Old rivals Shukla and Jogi lobby for Rajya Sabha berth - May 14, 2010
- Presidential poll: Congress deflates Chhattisgarh leader's tribal card - Jul 04, 2012
- Vajpayee's niece files papers for polls from Chhattisgarh - Mar 25, 2009
- Campaign in support of Jogi's son for Rajya Sabha - Apr 02, 2010
- BJP, Congress image at stake in Chhattisgarh - Apr 13, 2009
- 178 in fray for Chhattisgarh's 11 Lok Sabha seats - Apr 03, 2009
Tags: ajit jogi, berth, central leadership, chhattisgarh, chief minister, close associates, former prime minister, government party, janata party, kidwai, lok sabha polls, mahant, manmohan, manmohan singh, motilal, national vice president, rajya sabha, shukla, top source, vora