Chhattisgarh to simplify caste certification processAugust 22nd, 2012 - 7:24 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Aug 22 (IANS) The Chhattisgarh government has decided to set up a high-powered committee to suggest ways to simplify the caste certification procedure, administration sources said Wednesday.
According to sources, Chief Minister Raman Singh ordered the committee to be set up to suggest ways to simplify the caste certification process and to correct the certificates that were issued to tribal people.
The committee will be headed by Chief Secretary Sunil Kumar. The decision was taken at a meeting of the Scheduled Castes Development Authority Tuesday.
Talking to IANS Wednesday, chief secretary Sunil Kumar said, “The state government is mulling the framing of guidelines so that students passing their secondary and higher secondary examinations get caste certificates before leaving school.”
“Similarly, the facility of caste certificate verification will be made available at the district level. So far, this was done at divisional level.”
On account of the negligence of district collectors, hundreds of thousands of tribal people were issued invalid caste certificates since Chhattisgarh was carved out as a separate state from Madhya Pradesh in November 2000.
The certificates were useless as they were issued erroneously under Article 341 of the Constitution, which specifies Scheduled Castes, when they should have been issued under Article 342, which specifies the Scheduled Tribes.
The committee to make the correction, headed by the chief secretary, will have secretaries of the general administration department and the tribal welfare department, representatives of Chhattisgarh State Commission for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, the secretary to the chief minister and some district collectors.
- Chhattisgarh tribals issued invalid caste certificates - Aug 19, 2012
- Cabinet approves bill for reservation in job promotions - Sep 04, 2012
- Exclude 'creamy layer' from quota, apex court urged (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Chhattisgarh names two mediators for Menon's release - Apr 24, 2012
- Getting caste certificates to be easier - Aug 01, 2011
- Tripura lawmaker nailed for false Scheduled Caste tag - Aug 07, 2012
- Sukma collector may be released soon (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- I can't mediate using innocent as pawn, says Bhushan - Apr 24, 2012
- Chhattisgarh BJP wooing tribals in violence-hit Bastar - Jun 10, 2012
- Two kidnappings: Maoists release MLA, hold on to collector (Roundup) - Apr 26, 2012
- Derogatory words in caste certificates to be removed: Dikshit - Jul 25, 2011
- Medicines rushed for abducted Menon amid uncertainty over talks (Second Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Tripura legislator accused of faking caste certificate - Aug 09, 2012
- Home Ministry issues advisory on crime against SC/ST - May 02, 2011
- Only parliament can modify reserved communities list: Court - Apr 08, 2012
Tags: administration sources, caste, castes, certificate verification, certificates, chhattisgarh government, chief minister, chief secretary, department representatives, divisional level, general administration department, hundreds of thousands, negligence, raman singh, secretaries, state government, sunil kumar, tribal welfare, tribes, welfare department