Chhattisgarh shuts down against FDI in retailDecember 1st, 2011 - 1:58 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Dec 1 (IANS) Life came to a total halt in Chhattisgarh Thursday as vehicles were off the roads, petrol pumps shut down and educational institutions closed to join the traders protest against the central government’s decision to allow foreign equity in retail.
Reports from all the 18 districts indicate that the shutdown has had a strong impact across the state.
At a few places mainly in industrial towns - Raigarh and Korba - retail traders forced transporters and petrol pump owners to suspend business activities.
In Raipur, roads and government offices wore a deserted look and shops were closed in all localities to extend support to the Chhattisgarh Chamber of Commerce and Industries which is spearheading the shutdown.
It is opposing the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government’s decision to allow 100 percent Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in single-brand retail and 51 percent in multi-brand retail.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) which is in power in the state since December 2003 has backed the shutdown and in several towns its cadres were seen enforcing the strike on shopkeepers and passenger vehicle drivers.
Chief Minister Raman Singh has made it clear that his government disapproves the central government decision and would not allow FDI in the state’s retail sector.
- Chhattisgarh shutdown against hiked excise duty on gold - Mar 30, 2012
- Shutdown in Chhattisgarh against Ramdev's eviction - Jun 08, 2011
- Finance ministry okays FDI in multi-brand retail - Nov 17, 2011
- We will protect shopkeepers against FDI: Karat - Jan 20, 2012
- Shutdown widespread in Rajasthan - Sep 20, 2012
- FDI in retail: Complete shutdown in Himachal - Dec 01, 2011
- Mixed response to FDI strike in Punjab, Haryana - Dec 01, 2011
- We are not against FDI in retail: Akhilesh Yadav - Jul 24, 2012
- BJP-called shutdown hits normal life in Chhattisgarh - Feb 13, 2010
- Government to talk to states on FDI in multi-brand retail - Oct 27, 2010
- Shutdown gets partial response in Himachal (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- 'Bharat Bandh' passes off peacefully in Rajasthan (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Strike against FDI in retail affects life in Tripura - Dec 01, 2011
- Shutdown cripples life in Odisha - Sep 20, 2012
- States have prerogative not to allow FDI in multi-brand retail: Government - Sep 18, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, business activities, cadres, central government, chief minister, educational institutions, fdi, foreign direct investment, government decision, government offices, localities, progressive alliance, raipur, raman singh, retail reports, retail sector, retail traders, UPA, vehicle drivers