Chhattisgarh killing issue rocks assemblyJuly 13th, 2012 - 12:11 am ICT by IANS
Raipur, July 12 (IANS) The Chhattisgarh assembly witnessed uproarious scenes on the opening day of the monsoon session Thursday as the Congress and the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party traded charges over the Sarkeguda killings late last month.
As the house assembled at 11 a.m., the Congress moved the adjournment motion on alleged killings of several tribal civilians, after branding them Maoists June 29 by a joint contingent of state police and the paramilitary forces at Sarkeguda village in Bijapur district in the restive Bastar region.
The Congress members pressed for urgent discussion on the issue as the allegedly fake shoot-out has claimed a number of innocents included several minors. But the BJP members opposed the move to force for adjournment motion, leading to bedlam. Finally the speaker adjourned the house for five minutes and then again for 10 minutes after it reassembled.
Intervening into the matter, Legislative Affairs Minister Brijmohan Agrawal opposed the demand raising the point of admissibility of the motion in view of the state government having already constituted the one-man Justice VK Agrawal Committee to probe the issue.
In response, the Congress members announced they would boycott proceedings for the entire day.
- Two CRPF troopers killed in Chhattisgarh blast (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Chhattisgarh assembly adjourned amid protests - Dec 08, 2010
- Tripura assembly sees chaos; 'Fake SC status' of ruling Left MLA - Sep 21, 2012
- Chhattisgarh government defeats no-confidence motion (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Farmers' issues rock Maharashtra assembly - Dec 12, 2011
- Andhra assembly adjourned for second day without business - Dec 02, 2011
- No-trust motion defeated in Andhra assembly - Dec 06, 2011
- Fierce debate as Chhattisgarh assembly discusses no-trust motion - Dec 16, 2011
- Chhattisgarh house paralysed over Dantewada rampage, minister blames Maoists - Mar 29, 2011
- Andhra assembly adjourned again - Feb 15, 2012
- Stink again disrupts Rajya Sabha sitting - May 18, 2012
- Members almost come to blows in Kerala house - Jun 30, 2011
- Parliament adjourned again after 26/11 tributes (Second Lead) - Nov 26, 2010
- Parliament adjourned after tributes to 26/11 victims (Lead) - Nov 26, 2010
- Andhra assembly remains paralysed over Telangana - Sep 21, 2012
Tags: adjournment motion, affairs minister, agrawal, bedlam, civilians, congress members, contingent, five minutes, innocents, issue rocks, june 29, killings, legislative affairs, maoists, monsoon session, opening day, paramilitary forces, raipur, state government, state police