Chavez’s former doctor flees VenezuelaOctober 22nd, 2011 - 12:09 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Oct 22 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A former doctor of ailing Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has fled the country to avoid persecution over his recent remarks about Chavez’s health, Mexican media have reported.
In an interview with Mexican newspaper Milenio Semanal earlier this month, Salvador Navarrete said hopes for the president’s recovery were very slim and the leader had less than two years to live.
There has been much controversy around Chavez’s caner, but the 57-year-old Venezuelan leader maintains his health is gradually improving after three to four courses of chemotherapy in Cuba.
In his interview, Navarrete, who had been caring for Chavez from 2002 until recently, quoted “sources” as saying that Chavez’s health was very poor and that his treatment had not yielded significant results.
Soon after the interview, police searched Navarrete’s office, prompting him to flee the country to avoid further tensions with the authorities, media report said.
In June, Chavez underwent two operations in Havana: first for a pelvic abscess and later to remove a cancerous tumour.
Earlier this month, Chavez wrote on his Twitter account: “I’m free of disease. However, every four months I will have to be monitored to verify the … good evolution of what was a disease and what we’re continuing to treat.”
In late September, Roger Noriega, a former US assistant secretary of state for Western Hemisphere affairs, accused the Venezuelan authorities of hiding the truth about Chavez’s health ahead of presidential elections due in October 2012.
- Hugo Chavez gives house to Twitter follower - Jun 01, 2012
- Chavez cancer confirmation stuns Venezuela - Jul 01, 2011
- Hugo Chavez calls doctor 'a liar' after saying he has 2 years left to live - Oct 28, 2011
- Chavez back in Cuba for more surgery - Feb 26, 2012
- Venezuelan president has just one year to live - Jan 24, 2012
- Cancer-hit Chavez to leave Cuba next week - Mar 09, 2012
- Chavez in 'good health' after treatment - Jun 10, 2012
- Chavez back in Cuba for cancer treatment - Mar 26, 2012
- I'm soaring like condor after surgery: Chavez - Mar 01, 2012
- Cuba releases photos of Chavez recuperating - Jul 04, 2011
- Chavez to return to Venezuela this week - Apr 24, 2012
- Chavez says he's free of cancer - Oct 21, 2011
- Fidel Castro meets cancer-stricken Hugo Chavez - Mar 03, 2012
- Chavez returns to Cuba for cancer treatment - Apr 09, 2012
- Cancer once made Chavez consider leaving politics - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: abscess, assistant secretary, cancerous tumour, caner, chemotherapy, four months, havana, hugo chavez, late september, mexico city, navarrete, persecution, president hugo chavez, presidential elections, ria novosti, roger noriega, venezuelan authorities, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez, western hemisphere affairs