Chavez says willing to talk with Obama, improve relationsDecember 15th, 2008 - 3:20 pm ICT by IANS
Caracas, Dec 15 (Prensa Latina) Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has said he is ready to talk to Barack Obama after the latter is inaugurated US president Jan 20 and expressed hope that relations would improve under the new setup in Washington.”I believe relations are going to improve,” Chavez told Venezuelan journalist and former vice president Jose Vicente Rangel during a televised interview Sunday.
The leftist leader also welcome Hillary Clinton’s appointment to the top diplomatic position in the new US administration.
The Venezuelan leader, however, warned against startling changes and suggested that patience, good faith and spirit would be key factors in improving relations between the two countries.
Relations between the two countries are now at their lowest point with Caracas accusing Washington of trying to promote an anti-Chavez coup in April, 2002.
- Threat to Venezuelan president's life: report - Jan 18, 2011
- Chavez attacks Hillary for 'threatening' Russia, China - Jul 10, 2012
- Cancer once made Chavez consider leaving politics - Sep 05, 2012
- Chavez to return to Venezuela this week - Apr 24, 2012
- Venezuela, Colombia liberalise bilateral trade - Nov 29, 2011
- Over 20 killed in Venezuela prison fight - Aug 21, 2012
- Chavez denies getting medical checkup in Brazil - Aug 03, 2012
- Chavez back in Cuba for more surgery - Feb 26, 2012
- Venezuela will not let in designated US envoy - Sep 18, 2010
- Venezuela nationalises steelmaker - Nov 02, 2010
- President of anti-Chavez TV channel arrested in Venezuela - Mar 26, 2010
- Chavez not to attend Americas summit - Apr 15, 2012
- Chavez says his progress is favourable - Mar 13, 2012
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- US calls Chavez cancer comment horrific - Dec 30, 2011
Tags: chavez coup, diplomatic position, former vice president, hillary clinton, hugo chavez, jose vicente rangel, president hugo chavez, startling changes, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez