Chavez invites Obama to follow road to socialismMarch 7th, 2009 - 8:03 am ICT by IANS
Caracas, March 7 (DPA) Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has called upon US President Barack Obama to follow the path to socialism, which he termed as the “only” way out of the global recession.
“Come with us, align yourself, come with us on the road to socialism. This is the only path. Imagine a socialist revolution in the United States,” Chavez told a group of workers in the southern Venezuelan state of Bolivar Friday.
The controversial Venezuelan leader, who taunted the US as a source of capitalistic evil under former president George W. Bush, added that the US needs a leader who can take it to a “higher” destiny and bring it out of “the sad role that it has been given, as a murderous, attacking power that is hated all around the world”.
Chavez said that people are calling Obama a “socialist” for the measures of state intervention he is taking to counter the crisis, so it would not be too far-fetched to suggest that he might join the project of “21st century socialism” that the Venezuelan leader is heading.
“Nothing is impossible. Who would have thought in the 1980s that the Soviet Union would disappear? No one,” he said.
“That murderous, genocidal empire has to end, and some day there has to come a leader … who interprets the best of a people who also include human beings who suffer, endure, weep and laugh,” the outspoken Chavez said.
- Replica of Bolivar's sword presented to fencing champ - Aug 09, 2012
- Venezuela to spend oil income on social programmes (Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- Chavez vows to spend extra income from oil on social programmes - Apr 23, 2011
- Homeless Venezuelans to get homes from government - Oct 11, 2010
- Remains of Bolivar are authentic, says Venezuela - Jul 26, 2011
- Chavez to launch re-election bid - Jun 07, 2012
- Venezuela will not let in designated US envoy - Sep 18, 2010
- American Scientist Proclaims That The Liberator Simon Bolivar Could Have Expired Due To Poison - May 05, 2010
- Chavez to return to Venezuela this week - Apr 24, 2012
- Venezuela exhumes Simon Bolivar's remains - Jul 18, 2010
- Venezuelan president starts blogging - May 26, 2010
- Venezuela to increase minimum wage by 26.5 percent - Apr 27, 2011
- Venezuelan lawmakers honour Olympic fencing champ - Aug 15, 2012
- Diplomat's expulsion: Venezuela to close Miami consulate - Jan 14, 2012
- Venezuela president apologises for his mistakes - Feb 03, 2011
Tags: 1980s, barack obama, bolivar, caracas, destiny, dpa, empire, former president, george w bush, global recession, hugo chavez, human beings, president george w bush, president hugo chavez, socialism, socialist revolution, soviet union, state intervention, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez