Chavez in Cuba for another round of cancer treatmentApril 16th, 2012 - 11:15 am ICT by IANS
Havana, April 16 (IANS/EFE) Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is in Cuba again for more radiation therapy after he was operated on in February for a new cancerous tumour.
Cuban media reported Sunday that Chavez had returned to the island, where he was greeted by the country’s first vice president, Jose Ramon Machado Ventura, in contrast to earlier occasions on which President Raul Castro had awaited him on the tarmac of the Jose Marti international airport.
The Venezuelan leader’s latest trip to the island comes just three days after he had returned to his country after receiving his third round of radiation therapy.
On the recommendation of his doctors, Chavez decided to travel directly to Cuba without making a detour through Cartagena de Indias, Colombia, where the 6th Summit of the Americas is being held this weekend.
Chavez Saturday received the permission of the Venezuelan National Assembly to travel abroad for more than five days, which he had requested so that he could undergo the next session in the five-round series of radiation therapy in Cuba.
The Venezuelan president underwent surgery Feb 26 in Cuba to remove a tumour, a recurrence of the cancer for which he was operated on last June. The only detail about the initial surgery that has been officially announced is that the original tumour was located in Chavez’s pelvic region.
Since June 2011, when his cancer was first detected in Cuba and he underwent two operations, Chavez has returned to the island on numerous occasions to receive chemotherapy, undergo medical checkups and evaluations and pursue his radiation therapy regimen.
- Chavez back in Cuba for more surgery - Feb 26, 2012
- Chavez returns to Cuba for cancer treatment - Apr 09, 2012
- Cancer once made Chavez consider leaving politics - Sep 05, 2012
- Chavez says his progress is favourable - Mar 13, 2012
- Chavez says tumour was malignant - Mar 05, 2012
- Chavez vows to come back stronger after surgery - Feb 25, 2012
- Chavez to return to Venezuela this week - Apr 24, 2012
- Venezuela president goes for last chemotherapy session - Sep 18, 2011
- Venezuela's Chavez back in the public eye - May 24, 2012
- Chavez back in Cuba for cancer treatment - Mar 26, 2012
- Chavez to travel to Cuba for surgery - Feb 24, 2012
- Chavez says chemotherapy will make him bald like Yul Brynner - Jul 29, 2011
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- Chavez returns to Cuba for treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Chavez takes to Twitter after surgery - Mar 02, 2012
Tags: cancer treatment, cartagena de indias, cartagena de indias colombia, chemotherapy, cuban media, efe, hugo chavez, initial surgery, jose marti, medical checkups, national assembly, pelvic region, president hugo chavez, radiation therapy, raul castro, recurrence, summit of the americas, tarmac, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez