Chavez calls Israeli offensive in Gaza ‘cowardly’January 7th, 2009 - 4:53 am ICT by IANS
Caracas, Jan 7 (DPA) Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has called the Israeli Army “cowardly” for its offensive in the Gaza Strip, and said the people of Israel should protest the operation that has killed more than 580 people.”How cowardly is the Israeli Army. They attack a people that is exhausted, asleep, innocent, and they boast that they are defending their people,” Chavez told reporters Tuesday. “I call upon the people of Israel to rise against that government.”
He said that presidents Shimon Peres of Israel and George W. Bush of the US should be tried for “genocide” at the International Court of Justice.
During a visit to a children’s hospital in Caracas, Chavez said the international community must put a stop to the “madness” in Gaza, adding that his government was working to get humanitarian aid to the Palestinian people.
Chavez said while his government respected Israelis living in Venezuela, he wished that “the Jewish Venezuelan community spoke against this barbarity”.
“They accuse (Iranian President) Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of being responsible for genocide but there is not one piece of evidence, he has invaded no one. Venezuela has not invaded anyone either. They accuse (traditional Cuban leader) Fidel Castro of being a tyrant and a murderer,” Chavez said of several of his allies.
He complained that no such accusations were being made against Israel’s Peres. “How cynical the world is,” Chavez said.
- American Jewish Committee urges to condemn Venezuelan President after Israel's remarks - Jun 08, 2010
- Chavez returns to Cuba for treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Venezuelan president wants Carter to join Libya mission - Mar 05, 2011
- Venezuela, Colombia liberalise bilateral trade - Nov 29, 2011
- Venezuela will not let in designated US envoy - Sep 18, 2010
- Chavez returns to Cuba for cancer treatment - Apr 09, 2012
- Cancer once made Chavez consider leaving politics - Sep 05, 2012
- Chavez in good physical condition after operation: Venezuela - Feb 29, 2012
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- Venezuelans protest against US sanctions - May 26, 2011
- Chavez vows to come back stronger after surgery - Feb 25, 2012
- Hugo Chavez to start chemotherapy treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Replica of Bolivar's sword presented to fencing champ - Aug 09, 2012
- Israel President denies calling British 'anti-Semites' - Aug 02, 2010
- Chavez sends letter to Gaddafi wishing him victory - Aug 07, 2011
Tags: cuban leader fidel castro, hugo chavez, iranian president mahmoud, iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad, mahmoud ahmadinejad, peres of israel, president hugo chavez, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez