Chavan meets PM over Belgaum disputeJuly 14th, 2010 - 9:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 14 (IANS) Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan Wednesday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and handed over a memorandum demanding that 865 Marathi-speaking villages on the Karnataka-Maharashtra border be granted union territory status till the Supreme Court verdict on the issue.
After meeting Manmohan Singh, Chavan told reporters that the prime minister would hand over the memorandum to the home ministry.
He said in the memorandum that the Kannada language should not be imposed on the Marathi-speaking people in Belgaum and the interests of the Marathis in the area should be protected.
Chavan had charged the Karnataka government with changing the names of the villages in the disputed areas and discriminating against the Marathi-speaking people there.
The Maharashtra-Karnataka boundary row suddenly came to the limelight following the central government’s affidavit in the Supreme Court last week that the disputed areas could not be made part of Maharashtra merely because a majority of the population there speak Marathi.
The central government’s affidavit sparked a row in Maharashtra with loud protests by all political parties of the ruling as well as opposition combines.
- Chavan meets PM over Belgaum dispute (Lead, superseding previous story) - Jul 14, 2010
- Chavan to meet PM on Ambedkar memorial, boundary row - Dec 29, 2011
- Marathi speaking areas of Karnataka should be declared Union Territory: Chavan - Jul 13, 2010
- Maharashtra locks horns with Karnataka on boundary row - Jul 13, 2012
- Maharashtra wants Belgaum to be declared union territory (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Declare Belgaum union territory, demands Maharashtra - Dec 16, 2011
- Make disputed areas a union territory, says Maharashtra - Jul 13, 2010
- Shiv Sena seeks PM's intervention on Belgaum dispute - Jul 27, 2010
- Chavan meets Sonia on Ambedkar memorial, Belgaum - Dec 30, 2011
- Maharashtra assembly supports Marathi-speaking people of Karnataka - Apr 12, 2012
- Maharashtra Congress delegation meets Sonia Gandhi over Belgaum issue - Jul 17, 2010
- Thackerays seek urgent end to Maharashtra-Karnataka boundary row - Dec 19, 2011
- Uddhav Thackeray meets president on row over Belgaum - Dec 20, 2011
- Differences within BJP over Belgaum - Aug 27, 2010
- Rajya Sabha adjourned over Belgaum dispute - Aug 11, 2010
Tags: affidavit, ashok, central government, home ministry, july 14, kannada language, karnataka government, limelight, loud protests, maharashtra chief minister, manmohan, manmohan singh, memorandum, New Delhi, opposition, political parties, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, supreme court verdict, union territory