Chavan demands land for Ambedkar memorialDecember 20th, 2011 - 8:02 pm ICT by IANS
Nagpur, Dec 20 (IANS) Grabbing the initiative from the opposition, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan Tuesday demanded that the central government hand over a mill premises in Mumbai “free of cost” to the state for constructing a memorial to Dalit icon Bhimrao Ambedkar.
A resolution to the effect, moved by Chavan, was unanimously passed in both houses of the legislature here, catching the belligerent opposition unawares.
“We have demanded that the centre should hand over the entire 12.5 acres of land of Indu Mills, currently in possession of the National Textiles Corporation, free of cost to the state government,” Chavan said.
This would pave the way for the state government to erect a grand memorial to Ambedkar on the site, located near Chaityabhoomi in Dadar west, where his last rites were performed.
The Indu Mills land has been virtually taken over by hundreds of activists of the Dalit party Republican Sena since Dec 6, Ambedkar’s death anniversary.
Led by Anandraj Ambedkar, grandson of B.R. Ambedkar who is revered as the Father of the Indian constitution, they have vowed not to move out of the premises until the land is allotted for the memorial.
The developments made Chavan rush to New Delhi last week and urge Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to initiate steps to allot the land for the memorial, even as all opposition parties came out in support of the Dalit parties.
The issue has also figured prominently in the state legislature, currently in its winter session here.
Chavan’s move comes in the wake of the recently concluded civic bodies elections around the state in which its partner in the ruling Congress-led coalition, Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), emerged as the biggest vote-catcher.
Elections to top civic corporations like Mumbai, Thane and Pune, among others, are scheduled around February 2012.
- Chavan to meet PM on Ambedkar memorial, boundary row - Dec 29, 2011
- Ambedkar Jayanti celebrated; Dalits stage sit-in (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Dalit party threat to recapture Indu Mills land - Mar 06, 2012
- Maharashtra to evict encroachers from mill (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Land for Ambedkar memorial soon - Mar 30, 2012
- Chavan meets Sonia on Ambedkar memorial, Belgaum - Dec 30, 2011
- Maharashtra to remove encroachers from mill land - Dec 22, 2011
- RPI's rail blockade Monday for Ambedkar memorial - Dec 18, 2011
- Land 'captured' for Ambedkar memorial in Mumbai - Dec 06, 2011
- Chavan meets PM on Ambedkar memorial, farmers - Dec 09, 2011
- RPI demands land for Ambedkar memorial, blocks highway - Dec 15, 2011
- Ambedkar memorial work to be speeded up, says PM - Aug 18, 2012
- Congress misleading on Ambedkar memorial, Thackeray warns Dalits - Jan 02, 2012
- RPI workers demand Mumbai mill land for Ambedkar memorial - Jun 12, 2012
- RPI ransack mill, demand land for Ambedkar memorial - Dec 15, 2011
Tags: b r ambedkar, bhimrao ambedkar, central government, chief minister, civic bodies, dadar west, death anniversary, indian constitution, last rites, manmohan, manmohan singh, nagpur, national textiles, nationalist congress party, ncp, opposition parties, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, thane, winter session