Chavan asks PM for national fund for drought relief (Lead)August 26th, 2012 - 12:39 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 25 (IANS) Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Saturday to demand setting up of a national fund for mitigation of drought to provide faster assistance to states affected by the natural calamity.
The chief minister met the prime minister along with Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia and Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar.
Maharashtra sought the creation of the national fund as the guidelines under the National Disaster Response Fund did not provide for expeditious flow of funds in calamities like drought which occurred over a period of time, a state government official said.
He said the state government would also ask other states to press the central government for creation of the fund.
The official said a follow-up meeting was expected between different government agencies over the next few days to work out modalities of the drought relief fund.
Maharashtra is facing drought in some parts of the state.
The official said the state government had sought central assistance of Rs.3,572 crore for tackling the drought in 123 talukas.
- Chavan asks PM for national fund for drought relief - Aug 25, 2012
- Maharashtra faces drought-like situation - Aug 01, 2012
- BJP national executive meeting to be kept 'simple' - May 18, 2012
- Group of ministers to consider farmers' issue - Feb 22, 2011
- Perform pooja for rains: Karnataka government to temples - Jul 20, 2012
- Bihar Drought: Nitish Kumar seeks financial aid from Manmohan Singh - Aug 07, 2010
- Maharashtra CM rushes Delhi to seek central aid - May 08, 2012
- Karnataka seeks Rs.2,000 crore central aid for drought relief - Jul 17, 2012
- Jharkhand wants industrial corridor like Delhi-Mumbai one - Aug 06, 2012
- Rs.14,000 crore annual plan for Punjab approved - May 14, 2012
- Bihar CM pleased over approval of plan size of Rs 24,000 crore - Feb 16, 2011
- Planning Commission lauds Maharashtra's progress - May 20, 2011
- Bihar enroute to development , despite natural calamity : Nitish Kumar - Aug 15, 2010
- Land for Ambedkar memorial soon - Mar 30, 2012
- Centre seeks revised drought report from Karnataka - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: agriculture minister, calamities, central assistance, central government, chief minister, crore, deputy chairman, disaster response, drought relief, government official, manmohan, manmohan singh, montek singh ahluwalia, national disaster, natural calamity, planning commission, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, response fund, sharad pawar