Chatterjee evades comment on Amarinder’s expulsionSeptember 21st, 2008 - 8:31 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Sep 21 (IANS) Former Punjab chief minister and senior Congress leader Amarinder Singh’s recent expulsion from the Punjab assembly on corruption charges seems to have caught Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee in a bind on the legality of the action.Chatterjee, known for his forthright views on most issues, tried to wriggle out when mediapersons asked him about Amarinder Singh’s expulsion. The speaker was here to inaugurate the 73rd meeting of presiding officers of legislatures.
“Please don’t ask me (about the expulsion). The matter is now sub-judice,” Chatterjee said.
“It is not a question of the previous or present house. The question is whether his (the legislator’s) conduct relates to his role as a member of the house.”
Amarinder Singh was earlier this month expelled from the Punjab assembly after a probe by a house committee found him, his ministers and others involved in favouring a private builder to allot prime 32 acres of land worth millions of rupees in Amritsar city in 2004.
The former chief minister, elected from the Patiala assembly constituency, was expelled from the assembly for the remainder three-and-a-half year term of the house.
The assembly speaker later wrote to the Election Commission of India asking for the seat to be declared vacant.
Amarinder Singh has challenged his expulsion in the Punjab and Haryana High Court but has not been granted a stay so far.
Asked if Amarinder Singh could come back in the same assembly from where he has been expelled after getting re-elected from his constituency, Chatterjee evaded the issue, saying: “I cannot comment on this.”
- Amarinder's return to Punjab is news! (Punjab Newsletter) - Aug 31, 2012
- Amarinder Singh re-enters Punjab assembly - Sep 29, 2010
- OK if Somnath campaigns for CPI-M, says Yechury - Apr 15, 2011
- Gloves out in Congress after Punjab defeat (Punjab Newsletter) - Apr 06, 2012
- Amarinder, supporters storm police station against 'false' cases - Apr 13, 2012
- Amarinder's brother leads list of Punjab Congress rebels - Jan 07, 2012
- Anybody supporting us is welcome to campaign: Karat (Lead) - Apr 21, 2011
- Karat denies CPI-M asked Somnath to campaign - Apr 21, 2011
- Amarinder Singh's ouster unconstitutional: apex court (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2010
- Hazare welcome to Punjab: Amarinder - Oct 07, 2011
- Amarinder asks Congressmen to hit Akalis - Nov 01, 2011
- Amarinder attacks Akalis over Punjab police chief - Jul 09, 2011
- Somnath gets campaign call from CPI-M minister - Apr 14, 2011
- Amarinder questions Badal's stand on Bhullar clemency - Sep 25, 2011
- Trinamool will create anarchy in Bengal: Somnath Chatterjee - Apr 24, 2011
Tags: amarinder singh, assembly speaker, congress leader, corruption charges, election commission of india, forthright views, Lok Sabha, punjab and haryana high court, punjab chief minister, somnath chatterjee