Chatterjee cheated CPI-M: Pinarayi Vijayan (Lead)July 24th, 2008 - 12:47 am ICT by IANS
Malappuram (Kerala), July 23 (IANS) Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee was “a traitor to the party”, Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Kerala state secretary and politburo member Pinarayi Vijayan said here Wednesday. “As a Communist holding a high office, he cheated the party,” Vijayan told reporters soon after the CPI-M expelled Chatterjee on the charge of anti-party activities.
After the CPI-M and three other Left parties withdrew support to the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government, Chatterjee was advised by the party to quit the post, but he refused to do so, leading to the expulsion.
“He did not show the discipline that is expected from a Communist,” Vijayan added.
Addressing reporters at Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala Chief Minister and politburo member V.S. Achuthanandan also justified the move.
He said: “He was well aware of all the issues and therefore his action was an open violation” of party discipline.
Achuthanandan said the CPI-M had delayed the decision till the trust vote as this would have sidetracked the real issues during the parliament debate.
But Congress leader and former Kerala assembly speaker V.M. Sudheeran said: “The CPI-M has a wrong concept regarding the speaker.
“CPI-M expects the speaker to stick to its point of view. This cannot be agreed to. The party first erred when it included the name of Chatterjee in the list of its MPs submitted to the president (while withdrawing support to the government). Once a person accepts the position of speaker he is above party politics. That is the convention.”
- Achuthanandan versus Vijayan - and CPI-M? (Kerala Newsletter) - May 13, 2012
- Vijayan will meet Dange's fate: Achuthanandan - May 12, 2012
- Vijayan denies complaining against Achuthanandan - Aug 13, 2011
- Achuthanandan not in politburo, Buddhadeb in - Apr 09, 2012
- Out of politburo, Achuthanandan is miffed - Apr 09, 2012
- Achuthanandan seeks Vijayan's removal from CPI-M post - May 20, 2012
- Media creation, says Vijayan of Achuthanandan letter - May 21, 2012
- Achuthanandan will remain opposition leader: CPI-M - Feb 10, 2012
- Achuthanandan justifies visit to ousted CPI-M leader - Aug 05, 2011
- Karat again elected CPI-M boss (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Achuthanandan, Pinarayi tensions under scanner again (Letter from Kerala) - Oct 27, 2011
- CPI-M Kerala unit to meet to map its future - Feb 06, 2012
- Pinarayi Vijayan re-elected to top Kerala CPI-M post - Feb 10, 2012
- Achuthanandan visits home of murdered Marxist - Jun 02, 2012
- Achuthanandan escapes with public censure - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: assembly speaker, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress leader, CPI, expulsion, kerala assembly, kerala chief minister, kerala state, left parties, Lok Sabha, mps, party discipline, party politics, politburo member, progressive alliance, somnath chatterjee, state secretary, traitor, trust vote