Charges against Congress leader can’t be quashed: Supreme CourtDecember 3rd, 2011 - 12:24 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Dec 3 (IANS) In an embarrassing development for the Congress, the Supreme Court has said cheating and criminal conspiracy charges against party secretary Asha Kumari related to a land grab case in Himachal Pradesh can’t be quashed.
Setting aside the Himachal Pradesh High Court order, a division bench of Justice Swatanter Kumar and Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai Friday observed: “In our opinion, the high court has completely misdirected itself in reversing the trial court’s order framing charge.
“The high court’s judgment is tainted with legal infirmities and has resulted in miscarriage of justice.”
In January 2005, special judge of Chamba division P.D. Goel charged former Himachal Pradesh minister Kumari and others on five counts in a land grab case dating back to 1998.
The apex court said: “We confirm the order framing charge dated Jan 4, 2005, passed by learned special judge, Chamba and direct him to proceed further in accordance with law.”
Kumari and her late husband Brijender Singh had been charged with grabbing more than 60 bighas of government forest land worth several crores of rupees in Chamba by tampering government records and fabricating wills with the connivance of revenue officials.
The trial court of Chamba had framed charges against the couple on the basis of a complaint registered by the state vigilance department Dec 15, 2001.
After framing of charges, Kumari had moved high court that granted relief to the accused and set aside the Chamba court’s order, saying she was denied an opportunity of being properly heard.
It also transferred the case from the court of the Chamba special judge to the court of the Kangra special judge in Dharamsala on the ground that the apprehension expressed by Kumari that she will not get a fair trial in the first court.
- Himachal court frames charges against Congress leader - Aug 14, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh to appear in court in graft case (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh to appear in court in graft case - Aug 31, 2012
- Graft charges framed against Virbhadra, wife (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh seeks speedy trial in graft case - Sep 07, 2012
- Graft charges framed against Virbhadra, wife (Third Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Virbhadra ready for graft case trial in lower court - Aug 29, 2012
- Trial judge free to examine Virbhadra in graft case: Court (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Delhi High Court directs DDA to take encroached land back - May 02, 2012
- Virbhadra faces graft charge; says will resign if asked to (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2012
- Allow resale of commercial land only in rare cases: Himachal panel - Apr 25, 2012
- No relief for ex-railway minister in graft case - Apr 12, 2012
- High court refuses to stay graft case against Chautala - Sep 19, 2011
- Geelani aide moves high court for dropping of charges - Apr 16, 2012
- Aarushi case: CBI gets notice on Talwars' plea (Second Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: apex court, chamba, congress leader, connivance, conspiracy charges, criminal conspiracy, crores, desai, dharamsala, division bench, forest land, government records, infirmities, land grab, miscarriage of justice, party secretary, ranjana, revenue officials, shimla, special judge