Charges against Chidambaram politically motivated: SibalFebruary 4th, 2012 - 4:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 4 (IANS) The government Saturday said Home Minister P. Chidambaram was not responsible for the 2G spectrum scam and that charges against him were “politically motivated”.
The reaction came after a special CBI court here dismissed Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy’s plea to make Chidambaram an accused in the 2G case.
“Home Minister P. Chidambaram was not responsible for the 2G scam at all,” Communications Minister Kapil Sibal told news channel NDTV. “We expected the truth will not be hidden as charges against him are politically motivated.”
Stating that “the opposition has been going for Chidambaram’s blood”, Sibal said: “Such allegations destroy the credibility of the political system.”
Sibal also raised questions over the way a section of the media was holding public debate on the issue even before the court pronounced its judgment.
“It is like playing with the reputation of a person,” he said.
Reacting to the Delhi special CBI court order, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said: “Swamy lives by the media and has done this to keep himself alive.”
She said there was no basis of “moral responsibility of the government” as the Special CBI Judge O.P. Saini did not make any observation on Chidambaram’s role in the 2G scam.
On Swamy’s statement that he would take the plea to higher courts, Soni said: “Truth will remain truth, no matter how many times it is tested.”
- Congress feels vindicated, opposition says verdict not final - Feb 04, 2012
- Swamy's plea dismissed, relief for Chidambaram (Afternoon Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Swamy plea against Chidambaram dismissed (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Clean chit to Chidambaram in 2G scam (Roundup) - Feb 04, 2012
- Apex court reserves order on Chidambaram in 2G case - Apr 24, 2012
- Chidambaram verdict: Who said what - Feb 04, 2012
- 2G: Make Chidmabaram co-accused, Swamy tells court - Sep 15, 2011
- Will appeal against judgement: Swamy - Feb 04, 2012
- Will file complaint on Aircel-Marxis deal, Swamy tells court - May 26, 2012
- Congress slams Swamy, says Chidambaram clean - Aug 24, 2012
- Swamy's plea to make Chidambaram accused in 2G deferred - Nov 08, 2011
- Relief for Chidambaram as court dismisses Swamy's plea (Second Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- 2G scam: Swamy allowed to argue his case personally - Aug 26, 2011
- Give spectrum allocation file to Swamy by Thursday: Court - Nov 15, 2011
- Good judgment, it's a relief: Pranab - Feb 04, 2012
Tags: allegations, ambika soni, cbi court, credibility, home minister, judgment, kapil sibal, moral responsibility, ndtv, New Delhi, observation, opposition, p chidambaram, party president, plea, public debate, reputation, saini, spectrum, truth