Chandy to be on day-long fast to protest CPI-M violenceMay 2nd, 2009 - 5:25 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, May 2 (IANS) Congress leader Oommen Chandy will go on a day-long fast in Kannur in Kerala to protest alleged violence by the ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) workers in the district during the run up to polls April 16, a party spokesman said here Saturday.
“They (communists) have been resorting to violence in Kannur for long and it was visible ahead of April 16 Lok Sabha polls,” Congress spokesman M.M. Hassan said.
“This time they have been unable to terrorise the electorate on polling day and hence they have come out with baseless stories that Congress leaders like Union Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi, Chandy and others conspired to create terror in Kannur on the day of Lok Sabha polls,” said Hassan.
Kannur is known as a Left bastion. And elections there are usually tense affairs.
The verbal duel between the two parties escalated after the Congress said that son of senior CPI-M legislator P. Jayarajan and his friend were injured in an explosion April 16 near Kannur. The CPI-M rebutted saying that it was Congress which was “hiring goons to create terror” in the district.
CPI-M state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan Tuesday said: “The goons who arrived to create terror were arrested by the police as they came out of the Congress office in Kannur, which has a history of engaging in such activities.”
- CPI-M demands case, probe against Congress MP - Jun 30, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader held for murder, party calls shutdown (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- CPI-M worker killed during Kerala shutdown (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- CPI-M covering up Kannur 'bomb' explosion: Vayalar Ravi - Apr 29, 2009
- Kerala CPI-M leader arrested in murder case - Aug 01, 2012
- Congress MP ready to be quizzed by police, CPI-M leaders not keen - Jul 02, 2012
- Congress MP demands reprobe into 1994 Kerala firing - Oct 16, 2011
- Crucial five day Kerala CPI-M party meeting starts Sunday - Jun 16, 2012
- CPI-M legislator remanded in custody in murder case (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Given power I would have controlled situation in a jiffy: Mamata - Oct 30, 2010
- IUML worker's murder: Kerala CPI-M leader gets bail - Aug 27, 2012
- Bail denied to Kerala CPI-M leaders in murder case - Aug 13, 2012
- Being targeted to tarnish party, says Kerala CPI-M leader - May 18, 2012
- Trouble in volatile Kannur during polls - Oct 23, 2010
- Kerala CPI-M leader denied bail in murder case - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: bastion, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress leader, congress leaders, congress office, congress spokesman, CPI, electorate, indian affairs, kannur, lok sabha polls, oommen chandy, party spokesman, pinarayi vijayan, polling day, ruling communist party, state secretary, union minister, verbal duel