Chandy launches project in Smart City KochiJune 9th, 2012 - 8:03 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, June 9 (IANS) Kerala Saturday stepped up efforts to make itself prominent on the IT map of India and the world with Chief Minister Oomen Chandy launching a project in the Smart City Kochi, a Rs.5,000 crore venture which is expected to provide jobs to over 90,000 professionals.
Eight years after the Information Technology (IT) city project was first conceived, Chandy Saturday also inaugurated a state-of-the-art 10,000 sq ft sales pavilion within its premises besides laying the foundation stone of the first phase of a 3.5 million square feet building.
Numerous companies have shown interest in opening shops in the IT city, a knowledge based industry township.
“This pavilion is late by three months… They have assured us that first phase of the 3.5 million square feet building would be ready in 18 months,” said Chandy.
Chandi laid the foundation stone for the first phase of the 3.5 million square feet building in the city. Smart City Kochi is being built by Smart City Dubai.
In 2004, Chandy had first announced this IT project, which is expected to provide jobs to 90,000 professionals. It was allegedly stuck after the previous Left government re-wrote the major agreements that was initially planned.
Abdul Lateef Al-Mullah, the Group CEO who represents the Dubai company said: “We have been receiving a lot of enquiries and partners that are interested to invest in the state of Kerala. These enquiries are not just locally or nationally but globally. Kerala is on every company’s map right now and such companies will play a very important role in the economy of Kerala.”
- Smart City Kochi on course: Official - Jan 23, 2012
- First phase of Smart City Kochi project to be commissioned soon - Jun 23, 2011
- Smart City Kochi pavilion to open next month - Apr 25, 2012
- All mega projects are on course: Chandy - May 31, 2012
- Spadework begins on Smart City Kochi - Oct 08, 2011
- Work on Smart City to begin next month: Chandy - Aug 21, 2011
- Work on Smart City Kochi to start Saturday - Oct 04, 2011
- Kochi infotech project off the blocks - Feb 23, 2011
- Smart City project should go on with Dubai, demands Congress - Nov 18, 2010
- 'CPI-M delayed Smart City project' - Oct 30, 2010
- Smart City Kochi, Kerala government to float skill academy - Jan 23, 2012
- Congress backs Kochi infotech project - Dec 09, 2010
- 'Smart City Kochi delay due to government ineffectiveness' - Feb 09, 2010
- Smart City CEO comes to get drunk: Achutnanandan (Lead) - Dec 31, 2010
- Kerala delaying Kochi project, insists Smart City Dubai - Dec 02, 2010
Tags: 5 million, chandi, chief minister, dubai, economy, foundation stone, group ceo, India, information technology, jobs, kerala, laying the foundation, mullah, oomen chandy, premises, smart city kochi, sq ft, square feet, state of the art, three months