Chandrasekhara Rao re-elected TRS presidentApril 29th, 2011 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, April 29 (IANS) K. Chandrasekhar Rao was Friday unanimously re-elected president of the Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) for the sixth consecutive term.
The Mahabubnagar MP was elected unopposed as the TRS chief for the two-year term at the 10th anniversary celebrations of the party at Mahabubnagar.
TRS MP Vijayashanti, state legislators, politburo and executive members, presidents of all 10 district units of the party and other leaders attended the meeting.
The meeting passed a resolution urging the central government to table a bill in parliament for the formation of separate Telangana state, respecting the sentiments of four crore people of the region.
“People of Telangana want to live with self-respect and they are looking at us with the hope of realising their dream. Our responsibility has increased,” said Chandrasekhar Rao while addressing the meeting.
A cultural programme was also held as part of the anniversary celebrations to highlight the unique culture of Telangana.
The meeting was scheduled to be held on April 27 but was postponed as a mark of respect to Sathya Sai Baba, who died last Sunday.
The TRS had planned a massive show of strength at Parade Grounds in Hyderabad but the defence authorities denied permission for using the venue.
It was in 2001 that Chandrasekhar Rao had quit Telugu Desam Party (TDP) to float TRS and revive the Telangana movement.
- Victory celebrations in TRS camp - Mar 21, 2012
- Bypoll shock for Congress in Andhra (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- TRS leads in four constituencies - Mar 21, 2012
- TRS, YSR Congress woo suspended TDP leader - May 26, 2011
- Expecting announcement on Telangana in two weeks: TRS - Jul 14, 2011
- TRS ahead as campaigning ends for by-polls in Telangana - Jul 25, 2010
- Vijayashanti participates in Advani's yatra - Oct 19, 2011
- Nothing less than Telangana acceptable, say TRS, TDP (Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- Row over re-installation of demolished statues of Telugu icons - Mar 14, 2011
- Four more MPs, 16 legislators from Telangana resign (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- Telangana party plans to stall parliament - Nov 21, 2011
- Speaker rejects resignation of 12 Telangana MPs - Nov 15, 2011
- Crisis in Andhra as Telangana MPs, MLAs quit enmasse (Roundup) - Jul 04, 2011
- Don't test our patience over Telangana, TRS chief warns (Second Lead) - Dec 17, 2010
- Telangana issue again rocks Andhra assembly - Sep 18, 2012
Tags: 10th anniversary, anniversary celebrations, april 29, central government, chandrasekhar, consecutive term, crore, defence authorities, executive members, hyderabad, last sunday, parade grounds, politburo, self respect, sentiments, show of strength, state legislators, telangana movement, trs, vijayashanti