Chandrababu Naidu to launch ‘rath yatra’ from TirupatiApril 20th, 2008 - 11:28 pm ICT by admin
Hyderabad, April 20 (IANS) Telugu Desam Party (TDP) president and former Andhra Pradesh chief minister N. Chandrababu Naidu is all set to launch his 150-day long ‘rath yatra’ ahead of the crucial by-elections in the state. Naidu, who celebrated his 58th birthday Sunday, left for the temple town of Tirupati in his Chittoor district, from where he will launch the yatra or tour Monday. During the yatra, he will interact with people about their problems and expose what he terms “misrule” of the Congress government.
The opposition leader will also cover four Lok Sabha and 18 assembly constituencies, where by-elections are scheduled for May 29. The by-polls were caused by the resignations of four MPs and 16 assembly members belonging to the Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) to protest the delay in granting separate statehood to the Telangana region. Two other assembly seats fell vacant due to the death of sitting members of the Congress and the TDP.
Naidu, who was the chief minister from 1995 to 2004, will work this tour as a precursor to the party’s campaign for the next year’s elections. He has already roped in the actor sons and grandsons of the party’s late founder and former chief minister N.T. Rama Rao (NTR) to campaign for the party.
NTR’s son N. Balakrishna and grandson NTR Junior are expected to address a few public meetings during Naidu’s yatra.
Before leaving for Tirupati, Naidu visited NTR Ghat on the banks of Hussain Sagar Lake here and paid him tributes. “I have come here to seek his blessing for the success of the yatra,” he told reporters.
However, Naidu’s attempts to invoke NTR’s legacy for his campaign came under attack from some party members. NTR’s daughter and union minister D. Purandareswari recently said she would never forgive Naidu for “backstabbing” her father, and claimed this led to NTR’s death in 1996.
Naidu had led a revolt against NTR in August 1995 and became the chief minister. NTR, who had formed TDP in early 1980s, died a few months later.
- I'll remain with TDP till my last breath: Junior NTR - Jul 09, 2012
- Succession war between Naidu, NTR families hots up - May 28, 2011
- NTR's actor son ready to contest elections - Sep 11, 2011
- NTR's son to soon enter active politics - Jul 14, 2012
- Naidu, Purandareswari pay tributes to NTR on death anniversary - Jan 18, 2011
- Campaigning ends for Andhra by-elections - Jun 10, 2012
- Junior NTR to marry Chandrababu Naidu's relative - Jan 29, 2010
- Divided family pays tributes to NTR - Jan 18, 2012
- YSRCP sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags one Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Fourth Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- YSR Congress sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- Chiranjeevi, Renuka, four others file papers for Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2012
- Chandrababu Naidu visits Warangal despite shutdown, protests (Lead) - Jan 06, 2012
- Stage set for Tuesday's by-polls in Andhra Pradesh - Jun 11, 2012
- Tributes paid to NTR on birth anniversary - May 28, 2011
- Suspended TDP lawmaker hits back at Naidu - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh chief, assembly constituencies, assembly members, assembly seats, balakrishna, chandrababu naidu, chief minister, chittoor district, congress government, ghat, grandsons, hussain sagar lake, Lok Sabha, opposition leader, rama rao, telangana, temple town, tirupati, union minister, yatra