Chandauli candidates still await resultMay 17th, 2009 - 2:20 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 17 (IANS) Candidates from the Chandauli parliamentary constituency in Uttar Pradesh are still awaiting the election result, as counting of votes had not been completed by midday Sunday due to two electronic voting machines (EVM) developing technical snags.
At about noon Sunday, officials were still not sure by when they would be able to declare the result. They said a team of engineers is expected to visit Chandauli Sunday afternoon to rectify the two EVMs. Chandauli is about 300 km from Lucknow.
“The engineers are coming here after we apprised the Election Commission (EC) about the fault in two EVMs. We were unable to restore the functioning of EVMs till late Saturday night,” sub divisional magistrate S.P. Singh told IANS over phone.
One of the EVMs with a snag was from a booth in Mughalsarai assembly segment in Chandauli district, while the other was from Shivpur assembly segment in Varanasi district, he added.
Polling in the Maoist-affected Chandauli constituency had taken place April 16 and about 50 percent of the 900,000-odd voters had turned out.
Prominent candidates from the constituency include Ramkishun of the Samajwadi Party, Kailash Yadav of the Bahujan Samaj Party, Shailendra Singh of the Congress and Jawahar Jaiswal of the Bharatiya Janata Party.
As per the trends available Saturday from the votes that had been counted, Ramkishun was in the lead.
- Around 75 percent voting in Tamil Nadu assembly by-poll (Second Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- 'No damage to EVMs in Lucknow strong-room' - Feb 26, 2012
- Polling begins for UP election's fourth phase - Feb 19, 2012
- Brisk polling in Tamil Nadu bypoll (Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Average voting in initial hours of Delhi civic polls (Second Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Polling begins for Tamil Nadu assembly by-poll - Mar 18, 2012
- Polling begins for UP elections' last phase - Mar 03, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh to vote in second round Saturday - Feb 10, 2012
- Polling begins for UP election's fifth phase - Feb 23, 2012
- Brisk ballotting in UP polls (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Over 60 percent polling in Mandu bypoll - Nov 30, 2011
- EVMs for assembly polls checked in parties' presence: Quraishi - Mar 02, 2011
- Bypolls on in seven Andhra assembly seats - Mar 18, 2012
- UP polls: Round 3 ends peacefully, 57-58 percent turnout (Fourth Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Final phase of Bihar assembly polls begins - Nov 20, 2010
Tags: bahujan samaj party, bharatiya janata party, ec, election commission, election result, electronic voting machines, evms, jaiswal, late saturday night, magistrate, maoist, midday, parliamentary constituency, Samajwadi Party, shailendra singh, snag, snags, sunday afternoon, uttar pradesh, yadav