Chand gets clean chit from police, Fiza to move courtMarch 10th, 2009 - 1:13 pm ICT by IANS
Mohali, March 10 (IANS) The Punjab Police have closed the case filed by Fiza against her estranged husband and former Haryana deputy chief minister Chander Mohan alias Chand Mohammad, terming it a fallout of a “strained relationship”. But Fiza, a former law official, said she would now move the court.
Fiza, earlier known as Anuradha Bali, filed a complaint Feb 16 asking the police to register charges of rape, criminal intimidation, cheating, hurting religious sentiments and defamation against Chand.
“During investigation we sought legal opinion but nothing offensive came out of the complaint. It seems to be a case of a strained relationship between the couple. We cannot take any permissible action,” Senior Superintendent of Police Jatinder Singh Aulakh told IANS here Tuesday.
After filing her complaint, Fiza - who has been assistant advocate general for the Punjab and Haryana governments - had submitted her Muslim marriage certificate and recorded her statement before the police.
She alleged that Chand’s conversion to Islam was a farce and he had hatched a conspiracy against her in connivance with his family members.
The police summoned Fiza and Chand for their statements. While Fiza went to the police, her husband sent a fax. Chand has gone missing since Jan 28 after he left Fiza’s house here, less than two months after their marriage.
Chand’s message from London denied all the allegations and said he had not deserted Fiza and would return to India in April. He also denied that he converted to Islam only to get married a second time.
After the police clean chit to Chand late Monday, Fiza said: “The police are working under the influence of Chand’s family. Now I will move the court in the coming days to get justice.
“Chand’s family members are threatening me through letters and mail but the police are not doing anything.”
Chand, the elder son of former Haryana chief minister Bhajan Lal, is a Haryana Congress legislator.
He lost his job as Haryana’s high-profile deputy chief minister in December after he emerged from a 40-day hiding with a new name, religion and wife.
- Fiza Mohammed found (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Fiza cremated in Chandigarh - Aug 07, 2012
- Fiza dies in mysterious circumstances (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- More cash, jewellery comes out of Fiza's lockers - Sep 13, 2012
- Huge cash recovered from Fiza's house - Aug 09, 2012
- Police detain Fiza over neighbour's complaint - Oct 17, 2010
- Fiza arrested on neighbour's complaint, gets bail (Lead) - Oct 17, 2010
- Hooda's ministers not new to crime controversies (News Analysis) - Aug 06, 2012
- Fiza moves Punjab rights body against Chand Mohammed - Feb 19, 2009
- Fiza to campaign against former Haryana chief minister - Apr 21, 2009
- Punjab police summon Chand Mohammed, Fiza (Lead) - Feb 17, 2009
- Fiza finally complains to police against Chand Mohammed - Feb 16, 2009
- I will ruin Chand's life, says angry Fiza - Jun 05, 2009
- Chand Mohammed says 'talaq' to Fiza over phone - Mar 14, 2009
- Fiza approaches court for passport in new name - Jun 08, 2009
Tags: advocate general, anuradha, aulakh, clean chit, connivance, conversion to islam, criminal intimidation, defamation, deputy chief minister, fiza, lal, legal opinion, legislator, mail, marriage certificate, mohan, muslim marriage, punjab police, religious sentiments, strained relationship