Centre forced to announce cyclone relief funds: JayalalithaaFebruary 3rd, 2012 - 5:58 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Feb 3 (IANS) The central government was forced to announce Rs.500 crore for relief and rehabilitation works in areas hit by cyclone Thane Dec 30 last year, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa said Friday.
Intervening during the debate on motion of thanks to the governor for his address in the assembly, Jayalalithaa said the state government had asked for Rs.5,000 crore as central assistance for cyclone relief works but there was no response.
So the state decided to allot Rs.850 crore out of its own funds for relief, and also decided to issue an advertisement appealing to the public to generously donate to the chief minister’s Relief Fund, she said.
“Perhaps the central government felt ashamed after seeing the advertisements and announced Rs.500 crore assistance,” she added.
Referring to the attacks on the Indian fishermen by the Sri Lankan navy, Jayalalithaa said she would not rest till the Katchatheevu islet ceded to the island nation is retrieved.
According to her a permanent solution to prevent attacks on the Indian fishermen is to retrieve Katchatheevu and referred to the case filed by her as AIADMK’s general secretary in the Supreme Court.
She said the Tamil Nadu government has impleaded itself in the said case based on a resolution passed in the state assembly.
- Jayalalithaa asserts she fought for state's rights - Sep 03, 2010
- Tamil Nadu to implead itself in Katchathivu case - Jun 09, 2011
- Sri Lanka Navy harassing Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Sri Lankan Tamils must live dignified lives: Jayalalithaa - Jun 14, 2011
- No reply from central government on funds sought: Jayalalithaa - Aug 10, 2011
- Back on screen soon: Rajnikanth - Jan 27, 2012
- Take up fishermen harassment issue with Sri Lankan government: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- PM announces interim relief for cyclone-hit areas - Jan 10, 2012
- Karunanidhi seeks UN solution for Sri Lankan Tamils - Aug 21, 2012
- Rs.700 crore relief more for cyclone damage: Jayalalithaa - Jan 03, 2012
- Prime Minister asked to take up fishermen arrest issue with Sri Lanka - Jul 23, 2012
- Tamil Nadu to study LNG power project feasibility - Mar 29, 2012
- End bias against Tamil Nadu: AIADMK - Aug 27, 2012
- PM must resign if he cannot protect fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jan 26, 2011
- Can't India prevent attacks on fishermen, asks Jayalalithaa - Jan 16, 2011
Tags: advertisement, advertisements, central assistance, central government, chennai, chief minister, crore, cyclone, general secretary, indian fishermen, island nation, j jayalalithaa, permanent solution, rs 500, sri lankan navy, state assembly, state government, supreme court, tamil nadu government, thane