Centre conspiring against Modi, says RajanthJuly 26th, 2012 - 4:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 26 (IANS) The BJP Thursday accused the Congress-led central government of conspiring against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
Reacting to Modi’s interview to a Urdu weekly where he remarked he was ready to be hanged if found guilty in the 2002 Gujarat riots, former BJP president Rajanth Singh said: “He has not been proven guilty. None of the courts has found him guilty. Even after 10 years, they have not been able to prove anything.”
“This is an organised conspiracy by the central government to malign the Gujarat chief minister and the Gujarat government. They are trying to bring a bad name to a model government,” he said.
In an interview to Nai Duniya, Modi said “Hang me if I am guilty (’Main gunehgaar hoon toh mujhe phaansi par latkaa do’)” on the Gujarat riots.
Modi, a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader, has been accused of giving tacit support to the riots in which more than 1,000 Muslims were killed following the Feb 27, 2002, Godhra train burning incident in which 57 ‘kar sewaks’ returning from Ayodhya were burnt alive.
- Modi's 'hang me' remark triggers Congress, BJP slug-fest (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Modi's 'hang me' remark reprehensible, says minister - Jul 26, 2012
- Modi's 'hang me' remark reprehensible, says Congress (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- SP distances from Siddiqui for Modi interview - Jul 28, 2012
- Samjawadi Party frustrated, says Shahid Siddiqui - Jul 30, 2012
- Congress takes dim view of party MP praising Modi (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Congress attacks BJP over police officer's affidavit - Apr 22, 2011
- Top cop says Gujarat CM Modi involved in Godhra case - Apr 22, 2011
- Plea for Modi's deposition to Gujarat riot panel rejected (Roundup) - Feb 01, 2012
- Advani slams government inaction on graft, black money - Sep 12, 2011
- Petition seeking Narendra Modi's deposition before Nanavati panel rejected (Second Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Hazare flays arrest of Gujarat top cop Sanjiv Bhatt - Oct 04, 2011
- 23 convicted, 23 acquitted for Gujarat riots massacre - Apr 09, 2012
- 'Narendra Modi needn't depose before Nanavati panel' (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Apex court recalls notice on Narendra Modi (Lead) - Mar 23, 2012