Central government to help Himachal in tackling monkey menaceOctober 14th, 2009 - 7:15 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Oct 14 (IANS) The central government will help Himachal Pradesh in tackling the monkey menace, Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal said Wednesday.
“The central government has assured cooperation in containing monkey menace in the state,” he told reporters here.
“The union ministry of environment and forests has agreed to finance various programmes being undertaken by the state to check monkey menace. It has also agreed to upgrade the monkey sterilisation centre near Shimla,” he said.
Thousands of farmers in Shimla, Solan, Sirmaur, Bilaspur, Hamirpur, Una, Mandi and Kangra districts of the state have incurred losses due to the marauding monkeys.
As per forest department estimates, more than 900,000 farmers are badly affected by the simians. Monkeys, numbering over 300,000, target mainly the cereal and fruit crops, causing great damage.
Forest Minister J.P. Nadda told IANS: “The government is containing the monkey nuisance by mass sterilisation and setting up primate protection parks. We have even allowed selective killing of monkeys by the farmers who suffer crop damage.”
The previous Congress government had initiated mass translocation of monkeys to remote forest areas from towns and villages to control the menace. This process was, however, not successful as the territory vacated by the translocated animals was occupied by more aggressive troops of monkeys from surrounding areas.
- To catch monkeys, Himachal dangles Rs.500 bait - Nov 03, 2011
- Himachal seeks to rein in monkeys - Sep 21, 2011
- Rural job scheme to raise anti-monkey brigade - Aug 11, 2009
- Himachal farmers load guns for 'Operation Monkey' - Dec 10, 2010
- Himachal's aloe vera crop: In comes money, out goes monkey - Jan 20, 2011
- Marauding monkeys to face gun in Himachal - it's official - Dec 01, 2010
- Emu farming spreads wings in Himachal - Aug 06, 2012
- Monkeys are poll issue in Himachal - Mar 30, 2009
- Himachal farmers kill monkeys to save crop - Dec 12, 2010
- Court restrains monkey killing in Himachal - Jan 06, 2011
- Naughty monkey on prowl for spectacles - Sep 03, 2010
- Heavy rains predicted in Himachal - Jul 08, 2012
- Monkeys are back, Shimla takes cover - Sep 30, 2011
- Himachal allows selective killing of blue bulls - Mar 05, 2010
- Man injured in monkey attack in Shimla - Jan 10, 2011
Tags: bilaspur, central government, chief minister, congress government, crop damage, forest areas, forest department, forest minister, fruit crops, hamirpur, himachal, mandi, ministry of environment, ministry of environment and forests, nadda, primate, solan, target, translocation, union ministry