Central agency should probe Goa drug scene: BJPMarch 8th, 2010 - 5:28 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 8 (IANS) The Goa unit of the Bharatiya Janata party (BJP) Monday demanded a probe by a central agency into the narcotics trade in Goa.
The party also pressed for a criminal case against five policemen suspended for their suspected links with the drug mafia.
Speaking to reporters here, state BJP president Laxmikant Parsenkar said not only Goa police officials but some legislators too were involved in narcotics trade, which had given the issue a “very, very serious” face.
“First the home minister says there are no drugs in Goa. Then drug dealers name police officers as their friends. The Goa police are themselves involved in the drug trade. We want a central agency to probe the entire drug scenario in Goa,” Parsenkar said, alleging that several ministers as well as their kin were involved.
On Friday, Goa Chief Minister Digambar Kamat announced the suspension of five policemen, including inspector Ashish Shirodkar, for alleged links with the narcotics mafia.
An Israeli drug peddler Atala had alleged that Shirodkar and the other policemen were on his payroll. A footage secretly filmed by the Israeli has created a sensation.
Speaking to IANS, BJP leader and former chief minister Manohar Parrikar said criminal cases should be filed against the suspended police personnel.
“It’s critminal to have links with the narcotics mafia. The policemen should be booked, arrested and subjected to custodial interrogation,” he added.
- Police helped Israeli drug dealer escape: Goa opposition - Mar 31, 2011
- BJP alleges cover-up in Goa police-drug mafia nexus probe - Mar 16, 2010
- Goa Police quizzed on nexus with drug mafia - Mar 12, 2010
- Goa cop held for links to drug mafia gets bail - Jun 02, 2010
- Goa policeman arrested for links with drug dealer - Mar 18, 2010
- Goa police arrest tainted cop Shirodkar - Mar 18, 2010
- Five police officers suspended for links with drug mafia - Mar 05, 2010
- CBI points to links between Goa Police, drug mafia - Oct 01, 2011
- Plea to release drug peddler a sarcastic joke: BJP - May 04, 2010
- Politicians, journalists off CBI radar in Goa drug probe - Jun 23, 2011
- Probe into police-politician-drug nexus being sabotaged: BJP (Lead) - Apr 28, 2010
- CBI to bring Israeli drug dealer to Goa - Aug 17, 2011
- Ask CBI to probe into Swedish model's allegations, demands BJP - Apr 27, 2010
- Israeli drug dealer gets conditional bail - Jun 22, 2010
- CBI should probe role of Goa home minister's son in drug nexus: BJP - Jan 27, 2011
Tags: atala, bharatiya janata party, bjp president, chief minister, criminal case, custodial interrogation, drug peddler, goa police, home minister, kamat, laxmikant, legislators, mafia, narcotics, panaji, police officers, police officials, policemen, sensation, shirodkar