Celebrities becomes ‘giant-killers’ in Bengal pollsMay 13th, 2011 - 9:58 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 13 (IANS) Celebrities like actor Debashree Roy, theatre personality Bratya Basu and singer Anup Ghoshal, contesting on a Trinamool Congress ticket in the West Bengal polls, earned the stature of “giant killers” by defeating battle-hardened Left Front politicians in their maiden electoral foray.
National Award winning actress Roy, who rose to fame with her role as Satyavati in B.R. Chopra’s epic serial ‘Mahabharat’, defeated Sports Minister and South 24 Parganas strongman Kanti Ganguly from Raidighi in South 24 Parganas by a handsome margin of 5,553 votes. Roy got 93,236 votes while Ganguly got 87,683 votes.
Ganguly was a two-time legislator.
Another key fight was in North 24 Parganas district’s Dum Dum assembly constituency where Bratya Basu took on Housing Minister and Left Front’s star campaigner Gautam Deb, who had represented the constituency four times.
The fiery speeches of Deb went in vain as Basu defeated him by a resounding margin of 31,497 votes. Bose bagged 92,635 votes while Deb got 61,138 votes.
Renowned singer Anup Ghoshal, who had lent his voice to evergreen songs of Satyajit Ray’s popular ‘Goopy Bagha’ series of films, defeated Left candidate Sruthinath Praharaj from Hooghly district’s Uttarpara constituency by 43,193 votes. Ghoshal bagged 104,753 votes while Praharaj got 61,560 votes.
Famous Bengali actor Chiranjeet (Dipak) Chakroborty who was contesting from North 24 Parganas’ Barasat constituency against Left candidate Sanjib Chatterjee won by a striking margin of 40,211 votes. Chiranjeet got 103,954 votes while Chatterjee got 63,743 votes.
- Celebrities take on Left Front veterans for Trinamool - Apr 26, 2011
- Some prominent winners - May 13, 2011
- Artists, singers, actors in Trinamool list - Mar 18, 2011
- Third phase of Bengal polls Wednesday - Apr 26, 2011
- Bengal holds third phase of elections (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Two voters die in third phase of Bengal elections (Third Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Peaceful voting, 75 percent turnout in Bengal (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
- Peaceful voting, 80 percent turnout in Bengal (Intro Roundup) - Apr 28, 2011
- Brisk polling in third phase of Bengal elections (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Mamata tsunami sweeps away 34 years of Left rule in Bengal (Night Roundup) - May 14, 2011
- Two voters die, 64 percent turnout till 3 p.m. in Bengal (Fourth Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Endgame for Left in Bengal, Trinamool headed for big win (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Former FICCI official is Trinamool nominee for Bengal polls - Apr 06, 2011
- Any which way, Bengal braces for historic verdict - May 12, 2011
- Men who will matter in Mamata's Bengal - May 13, 2011
Tags: anup, campaigner, dum dum, evergreen songs, fiery speeches, ganguly, gautam, giant killers, goopy, handsome margin, hooghly district, housing minister, mahabharat, renowned singer, satyajit ray, strongman, time legislator, trinamool congress, uttarpara, west bengal