Celebrations begin in Congress, gloom in BJP (Lead)May 16th, 2009 - 12:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 16 (IANS) With trends indicating a big victory for the Congress, hundreds of supporters thronged the party headquarters at Akbar Road and the nearby residence of president Sonia Gandhi, many breaking out into a celebratory jig to the bursting of firecrackers.
Two hours into counting, chants of “Jai Ho” broke out among Congress cadres as some TV channels announced “Manmohan Singh to remain PM”.
Drummers had already reached the the Congress office. Scores of young people were seen milling around, dancing and shouting “We want Rahul Gandhi as PM”.
‘Havans’ (fire rituals) were held outside the Congress office by a 19-year-old hardcore supporter, who went by the name of Prince Singh. He said he was organising these public prayers for a “Congress sweep and development for the country”.
There was no early reaction from major party leaders, who still were glued to television and not wanting to give any premature reaction lest the trends get reversed, which seemed extremely unlikely at the moment.
Gloom descended on the headquarters of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) with party supporters looking glum and disbelieving. Many of their leaders like V.K. Malhotra, Balbir Punj and others were huddled together but had no reactions to pestering media.
– Indo-Asian News Service
- Euphoria in Congress headquarters, gloom over BJP's (Second Lead) - May 16, 2009
- Politics is Rahul's family business: BJP - Jul 19, 2012
- Upbeat mood in BJP office, gloom in Congress (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Netizens slam Sushma's Rajghat jig (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- Adityanath sees a hung assembly in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 11, 2012
- Jubilation in NDA camp, gloom in RJD and Congress - Nov 24, 2010
- BJP hits out at PM's 'deafening silence' - Feb 16, 2012
- India unites to celebrate victory over Pakistan (Roundup) - Mar 31, 2011
- Prepare for Lok Sabha polls anytime next year: Mulayam (Second Lead) - Mar 23, 2012
- Chiranjeevi's PRP merges with Congress (Roundup) - Feb 06, 2011
- Difference between what Chidamabaram says, practices: BJP - Feb 18, 2012
- BJP demands Chidambaram's immediate resignation (Second Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- BJP questions PM on Trivedi's ouster - Mar 20, 2012
- Gloom and relief in BJP; Congress, JD-S jubilant - Jul 28, 2011
- States should have been consulted on NCTC, says BJP - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: asian news, balbir, bharatiya janata party, congress office, drummers, firecrackers, gloom, jig, kbdb, malhotra, manmohan, manmohan singh, nearby residence, party headquarters, party leaders, party supporters, public prayers, punj, rahul gandhi, sonia gandhi