CBI seeking legal opinion on Dutt’s plea in Supreme CourtMarch 26th, 2009 - 2:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 26 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is seeking legal help in replying to the Supreme Court on Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt’s plea seeking suspension of his conviction to enable him to contest elections.
“The CBI has got a notice from the Supreme Court and we will reply to it after taking legal opinion,” CBI Director Ashwini Kumar said Thursday.
“I can’t share anything right now as the model code of conduct is in place. All aspects will be looked into,” Kumar told reporters on the sidelines of a conference here.
Dutt, sentenced to six years in jail by an anti-terror court for possessing firearms ahead of the 1993 Mumbai bombings, moved the court March 5.
The actor, who is the Samajwadi Party’s candidate in Lucknow, is seeking parity with cricketer-parliamentarian Navjot Singh Sidhu, whose conviction in a case of unintentional road death was stayed by the apex court in 2007 to enable him to run for elections.
A bench of Chief Justice K.G. Balakrishnan and Justices Markandey Katju and P. Sathasivam on March 6 had issued notices to the CBI and Maharashtra government and sought their replies within two weeks. It will hold the next hearing on Dutt’s plea on March 30.
A person convicted for a criminal offence and sentenced to jail for more than two years is barred from running for elections.
- Apex court seeks centre, CBI's stand on Sanjay Dutt's plea - Mar 06, 2009
- CBI's stand sought on Dutt's plea for suspending conviction (Lead) - Mar 06, 2009
- CBI opposes relief for Sanjay Dutt - Aug 23, 2012
- 1993 Mumbai blasts: Supreme Court notice on enhancing sentences (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2010
- Supreme Court turns down Sanjay Dutt's plea - Mar 31, 2009
- Verdict reserved on Sanjay Dutt's plea for suspension of conviction (Lead) - Mar 30, 2009
- Supreme Court rejects plea against Sanjay Dutt - Jul 04, 2011
- Sanjay can't contest, apex court dismisses plea (Lead) - Mar 31, 2009
- Sanjay Dutt seeks suspension of conviction to fight elections (Lead) - Mar 05, 2009
- Why not death to you, apex court asks Hawara - Dec 05, 2011
- Prisoner released from Pakistan jail seeks relief - Jul 16, 2011
- Pappu Yadav's bail plea rejected by apex court - Oct 07, 2010
- Apex court grants bail to Chisti, appreciates India-Pakistan bonhomie (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- 1993 Mumbai blasts case: Supreme Court to hear final hearing in January 2011 - Jul 26, 2010
- Knocking on courts' doors to open way to general elections - Mar 07, 2009
Tags: 1993 mumbai bombings, apex court, ashwini, bollywood star, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chief justice, criminal offence, k g balakrishnan, legal help, legal opinion, lucknow, model code, parity, parliamentarian, road death, Samajwadi Party, sanjay dutt, sidelines, sidhu