CBI ready to come fully under Lokpal, seeks autonomy (Lead)October 1st, 2011 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 1 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Saturday stressed against separating its anti-corruption wing and placing it under the Lokpal, and instead said it would prefer to come entirely under the proposed ombudsman and be given more autonomy.
The view was expressed by agency director A.P. Singh before the Parliamentary Standing Committee examining the Lokpal bill, according to CBI sources.
“The CBI as a whole can come under Lokpal in whatever way or form the government wants. We are ready to probe cases sent by the Lokpal and report to it,” said an agency official.
Sources said the CBI has proposed “functional and financial autonomy” like the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG) where “there are no interferences from political and other institutions.”
Chief Vigilance Commissioner Pradeep Kumar too presented his views before the panel Saturday.
Sources said the CVC wants that its role should not overlap with the Lokpal’s.
It also wants a proper mechanism to be set up under the Lokpal to ensure this, said sources.
The standing committee is hearing views of various agencies as part of its consultation process on various aspects of the proposed Lokpal office. The panel is expected to submit its recommendations to parliament before the winter session, which is slated to begin around mid-November.
- CBI against attaching anti-graft wing to Lokpal - Sep 06, 2011
- 'Lokpal panel for CBI, CVC autonomy but undecided on including PM' - Nov 24, 2011
- Lokpal panel hears CVC, CBI chief - Oct 01, 2011
- Lokpal panel plans report during winter session - Nov 08, 2011
- CBI, CVC chiefs meet PM on Lokpal bill (Lead) - Dec 14, 2011
- Wrong to put timelines for Lokpal panel: Singhvi (Lead) - Nov 08, 2011
- Lokpal review panel debates inclusion of PMO - Nov 15, 2011
- Impractical to bring CBI under Lokpal: CBI director - Oct 21, 2011
- Lokpal panel hears Aruna Roy - Sep 23, 2011
- Team Anna writes to PM, seeks investigating powers for Lokpal (Second Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- Team Anna unhappy over reports of proposed Lokpal bill - Nov 21, 2011
- Lokpal bill may come up in parliament in November - Aug 28, 2011
- Lokpal bill may get cabinet nod Sunday (Lead) - Dec 15, 2011
- Concerned about autonomy: CBI director - Dec 14, 2011
- Editors Guild wants media out of Lokpal's purview - Oct 21, 2011
Tags: agency director, cag, cbi sources, central bureau of investigation, comptroller and auditor general, comptroller and auditor general of india, consultation process, corruption, cvc, financial autonomy, institutions, interferences, New Delhi, ombudsman, parliament, parliamentary standing committee, pradeep kumar, vigilance, winter session