CBI questions Goa NSUI chief in drug nexus caseSeptember 15th, 2011 - 6:59 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Sep 15 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Thursday questioned National Students Union of India (NSUI) Goa president Sunil Kavthankar in connection with the police-politician-drug mafia nexus probe.
Kavthankar earlier this year petitioned the Panaji bench of the Bombay High Court seeking a CBI probe into the case. He also accused police officials, including investigating Crime Branch officer Chandrakant Salgaonkar, of links with the drug mafia.
“I have told the CBI officers what I have been saying all these day. I have also given them the details of my petition filed before the high court,” Kavthankar said after he met CBI officers at the federal agency’s office in Bambolim, on the outskirts of Panaji.
The NSUI leader’s anti-narcotics campaign had raised the hackles of the Congress leadership, with home minister Ravi Naik’s son Roy being linked to the drug mafia by the international media. The Congress leader has rubbished the allegations.
The leader of the Congress’ students wing in Goa had been brutally assaulted by unknown people in February, days after he started his campaign for a CBI probe into the drug nexus scandal in which two Israeli drug dealers and seven policemen have been arrested.
The nexus which had created a sensation here was first being probed by the Crime Branch but was later transferred to the CBI.
- High court issues notices in Goa drug nexus probe case - Jan 18, 2011
- Goa government under fire for awarding 'drug cop' - Dec 21, 2010
- Plea for CBI probe into Goa's cops-politician-drug nexus (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- PIL seeks CBI probe into Goa's cops-politician-drug nexus - Jan 14, 2011
- CBI can't probe Goa drug nexus, high court told - Mar 22, 2011
- Central government needs time to study Goa drug nexus, court told - Mar 10, 2011
- Police helped Israeli drug dealer escape: Goa opposition - Mar 31, 2011
- NSUI, BJP demand central probe into Goa drug nexus - Jul 10, 2010
- Kamat pats cops probing drug nexus - Jul 14, 2010
- Decision next week on CBI probe in Goa drug nexus case - Mar 17, 2011
- Will probe Goa drug nexus: CBI to high court - Apr 05, 2011
- CBI should probe role of Goa home minister's son in drug nexus: BJP - Jan 27, 2011
- Goa police backtracks on politicians' links to drug trade - May 14, 2010
- Probe into police-politician-drug nexus being sabotaged: BJP (Lead) - Apr 28, 2010
- Cop held in Goa drug nexus case - Oct 07, 2011
Tags: bombay high court, cbi officers, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, congress leader, congress leadership, crime branch, goa, hackles, home minister, national students, nexus, nsui, outskirts, police officials, policemen, ravi naik, son roy, students union, sunil