CBI not to probe Manmohan in ‘Coalgate’ (Lead)June 1st, 2012 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 1 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will not be probed for alleged irregularities in the allocation of coal blocks between 2006 and 2009, the CBI said Friday.
The Central Bureau of Investigation has launched a preliminary inquiry into the alleged scam.
According to official sources, the probe agency will scrutinise two aspects - misuse of allocation of coal blocks and misuse of coal blocks by private companies.
“The agency will scrutinise 156 companies and 65 coal blocks,” said a CBI source.
The CBI has started verifying the allegations of irregularities in the allocation to private companies between 2006 and 2009 and their alleged misuse.
The CBI has been asked by the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) to probe the complaints related to alleged losses to the public exchequer in allocation of coal blocks.
The CVC directive followed a complaint by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MPs Prakash Javadekar and Hansraj Ahir, who have said the prime minister headed the coal ministry when most allocations were done.
Earlier, a draft report of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) had stated that the government’s decision not to auction coal blocks caused a loss of Rs.1.8 lakh crore to the public exchequer.
- CBI not to probe PM in 'coalgate' - Jun 01, 2012
- Team Anna, opposition spew fire on 'coalgate'; CBI probes (Roundup) - Jun 01, 2012
- Happy at CVC referring coal allocation case to CBI: BJP - Jun 01, 2012
- Team Anna rejects CBI probe in 'coalgate' (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- FIRs against five companies allocated coal blocks (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Team Anna rejects CBI probe in 'coalgate' (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- BJP seeks PM's resignation over CAG report on coal blocks (Second Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- CBI books five companies allocated coal blocks (Second Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- BJP demands Manmohan's reply on CAG coal report - Aug 17, 2012
- No coal block allocated during UPA-II regime: Jaiswal - Aug 27, 2012
- Opposition slams Narayanasamy on CAG mandate comment - Aug 18, 2012
- BJP attacks PM on coal block allocation (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- NDA plans stir in parliament complex against Coalgate - Sep 06, 2012
- PMO rejects allegations against Manmohan, Team Anna cries foul (Second Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Five firms face CBI cases, raids in coal blocks allocation (Third Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
Tags: ahir, allocations, cag, cbi, central bureau of investigation, central vigilance commission, coal, comptroller and auditor general, crore, draft report, hansraj, irregularities, janata party, manmohan, manmohan singh, preliminary inquiry, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, private companies, rs 1