CBI committed errors in case against Mayawati: SPJuly 6th, 2012 - 2:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 6 (IANS) The Samajwadi Party Friday accused the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) of committing “technical errors” in the probe against Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati in a graft case, leading to the Supreme Court quashing the investigation against her.
“This is not Mayawati’s victory but CBI’s defeat, as the investigation agency committed technical errors. The CBI was supposed to investigate irregularities in the development of Taj corridor, however, a probe into her assets was initiated,” Samajwadi Party leader Shahid Siddiqui said.
“Now, did the CBI commit this error on purpose to save Mayawati or was it a genuine mistake, these questions need to be answered,” he added.
The apex court Friday quashed the CBI probe against the former Uttar Pradesh chief minister in a corruption case related to assets disproportionate to her income.
Quashing the first information report (FIR), the apex court bench headed by Justice P. Sathasivam described the filing of another FIR against Mayawati as illegal and without jurisdiction.
Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid termed the apex court judgment “of the highest order”, but refused to comment on it, saying he has not read it.
“People may think of court’s decisions as beneficial or harmful, but the fact remains that we have to respect it,” union Minister of Tourism Subodh Kant Sahai said.
- Court scraps probe against Mayawati, BSP chief elated (Roundup) - Jul 06, 2012
- Court scraps probe against Mayawati, BSP chief elated (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- SC quashes CBI probe against Mayawati in graft case (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Plea in SC seeks review of quashing of case against Mayawati - Aug 04, 2012
- SC reserves order in Mayawati's assets case (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- No conspiracy against Mayawati: BJP - Jul 06, 2012
- Justice after nine years, says Mayawati - Jul 06, 2012
- Justice has been done, says Mayawati (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Boost for Mayawati as SC slams CBI on graft case - Jul 06, 2012
- SC reserves order in Mayawati's assets case - May 01, 2012
- SC quashes CBI probe against Mayawati in graft case - Jul 06, 2012
- Taj Corridor case (To go with: Court scraps probe against Mayawati, BSP chief elated) - Jul 06, 2012
- CBI to quiz MP, five firms' officials on coal blocks - Sep 05, 2012
- BJP poses more questions to PM, Jaiswal over coal block allocations (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- CBI probe ordered in murder involving minister's kin - May 27, 2011
Tags: apex court, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, corruption case, court bench, court judgment, genuine mistake, graft case, information report, investigation agency, khurshid, Mayawati, minister of tourism, sahai, Samajwadi Party, shahid, siddiqui, subodh, union law minister, union minister