Casino revenue could fund Goa’s old age homes: ParrikarAugust 8th, 2012 - 5:18 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Aug 8 (IANS) The casinos of Goa could now fund old age homes, among other social initiatives of the state government, said Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar in the state legislative assembly Wednesday.
Replying to a debate on grants to the home ministry, Parrikar also said that the state government coffers did not need monies earned from the casino industry.
“The government is not keen on promoting gambling. We have to solve the previous problem created by the previous government. Casino money will be put in a separate account and given to old age homes. We don’t need that money in the budget. I don’t want that money,” an emphatic Parrikar said, adding that Goa continued to persist with the casino industry not for the sake of money, but “simply because they cannot be shut down overnight”.
“Based on the assurances of the previous governments, people have invested. They cannot be told to go overnight,” Parrikar stated, adding that casinos did not amount to healthy tourism.
“Casino (tourism) is not a very healthy tourism, some principles should be maintained. Gambling brings along with it liquor, prostitution and drugs. They don’t bring it in, they only increase the level,” the chief minister said. He added that he was keen on shifting the six offshore casinos out of the Mandovi river, possibly into the seas before his tenure was over.
Six offshore casinos and the dozen-odd land-based casinos contributed nearly Rs.30 crore to the Goa government treasury over the last two and a half years.
- BJP budget blows hot and cold on Goa's offshore casinos - Mar 27, 2012
- Goans, under 21s, may be banned from Goa's casinos - Jul 05, 2012
- Goa earned Rs.30 crore from casino entry fee - Aug 06, 2012
- Women's group claims Goa government in cahoots with casinos - Aug 13, 2012
- Goa BJP waters down stance on offshore casinos - Feb 23, 2012
- No gambling for Goans, says BJP - Mar 15, 2011
- Mining and casino-friendly Parrikar is like Chanakya: Congress - Aug 30, 2012
- Limited, yet luxurious: Gaming gets big in India - Sep 21, 2011
- Goa ministers took money to shield floating casinos: Parrikar - Sep 16, 2010
- BJP wants to deter locals from gambling - Mar 27, 2012
- Goa's offshore casino business booming - Jul 21, 2009
- Now horse racing to be promoted in Goa - Aug 11, 2010
- Goa casinos need regulatory authority: Casino operator - Nov 15, 2011
- Casinos out of sight, out of mind: Goa chief minister - Jun 06, 2009
- Goa's offshore casino operators withdraw petition - Sep 23, 2010
Tags: assurances, casino industry, casino money, casino revenue, chief minister, crore, goa government, government coffers, home ministry, legislative assembly, liquor, mandovi river, monies, offshore casinos, panaji, prostitution, social initiatives, state government, tenure, two and a half years