Cash-for-vote ‘heroes’ should have been given Padma awards: VenkaiahOctober 21st, 2011 - 4:57 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Oct 21 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders and parliamentarians either booked or arrested in the cash-for-votes scam should have been decorated with awards instead, a senior BJP leader said Friday.
Speaking to reporters in Panaji, ahead of L.K. Advani’s yatra in Goa, former party president M. Venkaiah Naidu said that instead of targeting the beneficiaries, the Congress was using government machinery to go after the whistleblowers.
“They should have been given Padma awards for exposing such a fraud, where the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) used bribery to save its government,” said Naidu, who was in Goa to oversee preparations for the yatra reaching Goa Nov 1.
Sudheendra Kulkarni, a former aide of Advani, was arrested for orchestrating the 2008 scam, in which three BJP MPs claimed they had been bribed to vote in favour of the Congress on the Indo-US nuke deal.
“Our MPs should have been congratulated for bringing their money to Parliament and exposing corruption,” Naidu said. “Instead, they were told they had brought shame on Parliament.”
Naidu added that the Delhi Police was being arm-twisted by the Congress to target the opposition.
On July 22, 2008, then BJP MPs Faggan Singh Kulaste, Mahavir Bhagora and Ashok Argal waved wads of currency notes in the Lok Sabha ahead of a trust vote, alleging they were given the money to vote in favour of the Manmohan Singh government.
- PM, Sonia must apologise for cash-for-votes scam: Gadkari (Lead) - Nov 20, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Order on bail plea of five accused Nov 16 (Lead) - Nov 14, 2011
- Gadkari meets jailed party colleagues in Tihar - Oct 31, 2011
- Government protecting corrupt ministers: Advani - Oct 03, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Kulkarni, two BJP former MPs walk out of Tihar - Nov 17, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: BJP feliciates Kulkarni, other accused - Nov 19, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Kulkarni, four others walk out of Tihar (Lead) - Nov 17, 2011
- Expose beneficiaries of cash-for-vote: Kulkarni - Nov 18, 2011
- Cash-for-vote: Cops furnish CD transcripts to accused - May 26, 2012
- Bid to target ex-MPs in cash-for-votes scandal: Naidu - Sep 10, 2011
- Ahmed Patel was mastermind behind cash-for-vote scam: Gadkari - Nov 18, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Bail for Kulkarni, five others - Nov 16, 2011
- Police response sought on bail plea of Amar Singh's ex-aide (Lead) - Nov 09, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: BJP MP booked; bail pleas of three put off - Oct 03, 2011
- Cash-for-vote: Non-bailable warrant against Hindustani - Aug 14, 2012
Tags: argal, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, currency notes, delhi police, government machinery, l k advani, Lok Sabha, mahavir, manmohan, manmohan singh, panaji, party president, progressive alliance, senior bjp, trust vote, venkaiah naidu, wads, whistleblowers, yatra