Cash-for-vote: Accused appears in court, warrant cancelledAugust 22nd, 2012 - 8:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 22 (IANS) Sohail Hindustani, the alleged mastermind of the 2008 cash-for-vote scandal that rocked the Lok Sabha, appeared in a special court here Wednesday, which had issued a non-bailable warrant (NBW) against him at the last hearing.
Special Judge Sangita Dhingra Sehgal asked police to take Hindustani into custody after he appeared in court. Hindustani apologised for not appearing earlier as he was in Bangalore.
The court released Hindustani and cancelled the NBW against him, which was issued at the last hearing Aug 14 after both Hindustani and his counsel failed to appear in court.
While Hindustani could not appear Aug 14, his counsel did. Counsel told the court that his presence was not marked in court.
The court will hear the case again on Sep 14.
On July 22, 2008, some BJP MPs had waved wads of currency notes on the floor of the Lok Sabha during a trust vote faced by the UPA-I government, claiming they were given the money to vote in favour of the government.
Former Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh, Sudheendra Kulkarni, MP Ashok Argal, two former BJP MPs Faggan Singh Kulaste and Mahabir Singh Bhagora, along with Amar Singh’s former aide Sanjeev Saxena and Hindustani have been named as accused in the case.
- Cash-for-vote: Non-bailable warrant against Hindustani - Aug 14, 2012
- Court pulls up cash-for-vote accused for wearing sunglasses - May 28, 2012
- Cash-for-votes: BJP MP booked; bail pleas of three put off - Oct 03, 2011
- Cash-for-vote: Cops furnish CD transcripts to accused - May 26, 2012
- Cash-for-votes: Order on bail plea of five accused Nov 16 (Lead) - Nov 14, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: BJP MP exempted from attending trial court (Second Lead) - Nov 01, 2011
- Cash-for-votes scam: Bail pleas of Kulkarni, two others, to be heard Oct 13 - Oct 07, 2011
- Police response sought on bail plea of Amar Singh's ex-aide (Lead) - Nov 09, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Bail for Kulkarni, five others (Second Lead) - Nov 16, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Bail for Kulkarni, five others - Nov 16, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Kulkarni, two BJP former MPs walk out of Tihar - Nov 17, 2011
- Expose beneficiaries of cash-for-vote: Kulkarni - Nov 18, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Kulkarni, four others walk out of Tihar (Lead) - Nov 17, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Government indeed tried to buy MPs, says BJP - Nov 17, 2011
- Amar Singh's bail pleas to be heard Oct 19 - Oct 18, 2011
Tags: apologised, argal, ashok, bailable, bjp, currency notes, Lok Sabha, mahabir, mastermind, nbw, New Delhi, party leader, Samajwadi Party, saxena, sehgal, sohail, special judge, trust vote, UPA, wads