Case of rioting filed against Asaduddin Owaisi in HyderabadApril 17th, 2009 - 2:47 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, April 17 (IANS) Police have filed a case against Hyderabad MP and Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) president Asaduddin Owaisi for beating up a polling agent of Telugu Desam Party (TDP) during the polling Thursday.
A case of rioting was booked against him at Moghalpura police station. Owaisi, who is seeking re-election for the second consecutive term from Hyderabad Lok Sabha constituency, has been booked under various sections of Indian Penal Code (IPC).
Police said he has been booked under sections 147 (rioting), 448 (trespass), 324 (voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons) read with sections 149 (unlawful assembly), 188 (disobedience to order promulgated by public servant) and section 132 of the Representation of People Act.
The young MP was charged with beating up the TDP polling agent Syed Saleemuddin with a stick when the latter was allegedly distributing money among voters near a polling station in Sultan Shahi area. The footage of Owaisi along with his followers chasing the TDP worker was aired on local television channels.
The case was registered based on the complaint filed by a policeman. Saleemuddin has reportedly disappeared.
The state’s chief electoral officer (CEO) I.V. Subba Rao told reporters that it was a law and order problem and the police would deal with the case.
Hyderabad was one of the 22 Lok Sabha constituencies in Andhra Pradesh which went to polls on Thursday in the first phase along with 154 assembly constituencies.
It is a three-cornered contest in Hyderabad between Owaisi, TDP candidate and Urdu daily Siasat’s editor Zahid Ali Khan and the Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) Satish Agarwal.
- MIM leader Akbaruddin Owaisi injured in firing (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Owaisi criticises police chief, angers poll panel (Second Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- MIM chief Owaisi meets Jagan in jail - Jun 19, 2012
- Owaisi criticises police chief, angers poll panel (Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- Chiranjeevi booked for poll code violation - Apr 18, 2009
- MIM leader Akbar Owaisi attacked, Hyderabad tense (Night Lead) - May 01, 2011
- Hyderabad MP urges northeast people to stay - Aug 17, 2012
- MIM leader Owaisi injured in attack, Hyderabad tense (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- MIM leader Akbar Owaisi injured in attack; Hyderabad tense (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- MP demands arrest of writers for reading 'Satanic Verses' - Jan 21, 2012
- Pranab appeals to all Andhra parties to support him (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- MIM legislator Owaisi discharged from hospital - May 20, 2011
- Arrest writers for reading out 'Satanic Verses': MP (Lead) - Jan 21, 2012
- Owaisi in trouble for remarks on police chief (Third Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- Owaisi accuses police chief of colluding with TDP - Apr 18, 2009
Tags: ali khan, assembly constituencies, bharatiya janata party, bjp, chief electoral officer, consecutive term, dangerous weapons, hyderabad, indian penal code, law and order, lok sabha constituencies, polling station, public servant, sabha constituency, satish, siasat, subba rao, tdp, television channels, unlawful assembly