Can’t forge signature, says Pranab; Team Sangma to move court (Second Lead)July 5th, 2012 - 5:34 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi/Thiruvananthapuram, July 4 (IANS) UPA presidential nominee Pranab Mukherjee Wednesday denied that the signature on his letter of resignation from the Kolkata-based ISI was “forged” even as Team Sangma upped the ante and threatened to go to court.
Sangma, who has the backing of several opposition parties, including the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for the July 19 presidential poll, had written to returning officer V.K. Agnihotri seeking a copy of his order rejecting the objection against the candidature of Mukherjee, fielded by the ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA).
The Election Commission directed Agnihotri to give details of the scrutiny proceedings and the order rejecting Sangma’s objection to Mukherjee’s candidature to him.
“When he (Agnihotri) asked, then the EC (Election Commission) suggested to him to give everybody, including Sangma, the details. He was also asked to put the proceedings on the website,” a poll panel official told IANS.
Earlier, in a two-hour meeting of Team Sangma at BJP leader Sushma Swaraj’s residence here, the option to approach court against Mukherjee’s nomination was discussed.
The party, however, maintained that a final decision will be taken only after they get the copy of the order rejecting their objections to Mukherjee’s candidature.
“We have surprisingly not received the order. We are waiting for the official copy and only then we will move court,” said Janata Party leader Subramanian Swamy.
Sources said that the party was also pondering to file an election petition, which is a plea filed by any contestant if they feel malpractices have been involved in the election. The petition is heard by the high court of the state.
Touring the country to canvass votes in his favour, Mukherjee asked in Thiruvananthapuram: “How can I forge my own signature?”
“All these issues have been discussed in front of the returning officer,” he said.
Sangma’s team Monday demanded rejection of Mukherjee’s nomination alleging he held an office of profit as the chairman of the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI).
Mukherjee, however, produced his resignation letter dated June 20 with acceptance from the ISI, after which Sangma’s request was rejected and Mukherjee’s nomination accepted.
At a press conference Tuesday, the BJP alleged that signatures of Mukherjee on two documents submitted were different.
On Wednesday, Home Minister P. Chidambaram called the allegation of a forged signature “scandalous”.
“It is a scandalous suggestion and I am sure Mr. Pranab Mukherjee, the candidate, has taken note of this scandalous statement,” Chidambaram told reporters in reply to a question on the BJP’s charge against Mukherjee.
Asked about th BJP’s plans, Chidambaram said: “No one can stop anyone from going to court.”
But sources said the government was preparing for a showdown as it anticipated that BJP-backed Sangma would not leave the office of profit charge against Mukherjee and may take the matter to court after the presidential election.
- Can't forge signature, says Pranab; Team Sangma to move court (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Give details to Sangma, says poll panel on Pranab order (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Give details to Sangma, says poll panel on Pranab order - Jul 05, 2012
- Team Sangma may go to court against Pranab's nomination - Jul 05, 2012
- Team Sangma to approach poll panel against Pranab's nomination (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Pranab survives Sangma googly; BJP waves 'fabricated' letter (Intro Roundup) (With Image) - Jul 03, 2012
- Pranab survives Sangma googly; BJP waves 'fabricated' letter (Roundup) (With images) - Jul 03, 2012
- 'Beyond my powers to probe Mukherjee's signature' - Jul 11, 2012
- BJP dissociates itself from Sangma's petition plan (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Poll panel rejects Sangma's plea against Pranab (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- BJP again rakes up Pranab's 'forged' signature issue - Jul 06, 2012
- Purno Sangma to file election petition Tuesday - Aug 18, 2012
- Sangma to decide Thursday on petition against Mukherjee - Jul 05, 2012
- Team Sangma gives poll panel proof against Mukherjee - Jul 09, 2012
- Sangma to file election petition Tuesday (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, candidature, dema, election commission, election petition, final decision, isi, kolkata, letter of resignation, objection, objections, opposition parties, party leader, pranab mukherjee, presidential nominee, presidential poll, progressive alliance, returning officer, thiruvananthapuram