Cancer once made Chavez consider leaving politicsSeptember 5th, 2012 - 1:18 pm ICT by IANS
Caracas, Sep 5 (IANS/EFE) Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez acknowledged Tuesday that he thought about abandoning public life after discovering he had cancer in June 2011, for which he had to be operated three times.
“At a certain moment I began to think that, yes, that I’d have to leave the political arena, but thank God here I am all recovered,” Chavez, 58, said in an interview on Caracas radio station Fiesta 106.5.
The leftist head of state, who took office in 1999, said that he feels well and takes good care of himself, exercising, studying a lot and carrying out his duties as president.
“I feel in very good spirits, optimistic, believing in what we’re doing, in what we will do in life and, well, my life is in the hands of God and the people, now more than ever,” said Chavez who is seeking another six-year term term in the Oct 7 election.
He said that after Cuba’s Fidel Castro told him in June 2011 that he had cancer - the tumor was discovered when Chavez fell ill during a visit to Havana - he has clung to Christ.
Chavez had the tumour removed in Cuba in June 2011 and then underwent months of chemotherapy. A recurrence of the cancer necessitated another operation in February, also in Havana.
The latest surgery was followed by several rounds of radiation and in July the Venezuelan president was declared cancer-free for the second time.
Chavez leads opposition candidate Henrique Capriles in the latest opinion polls ahead of next month’s presidential ballot.
- Chavez to return to Venezuela this week - Apr 24, 2012
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- Chavez says his progress is favourable - Mar 13, 2012
- Chavez to travel to Cuba for surgery - Feb 24, 2012
- Chavez vows to come back stronger after surgery - Feb 25, 2012
- Chavez returns to Cuba for cancer treatment - Apr 09, 2012
- Chavez takes to Twitter after surgery - Mar 02, 2012
- Venezuela's Chavez back in the public eye - May 24, 2012
- Chavez in good physical condition after operation: Venezuela - Feb 29, 2012
- Chavez in 'good health' after treatment - Jun 10, 2012
- Chavez denies getting medical checkup in Brazil - Aug 03, 2012
- Chavez in good health after chemotherapy - Sep 04, 2011
- Chavez says he forgives those who desired his death - Apr 25, 2012
- Chavez back in Cuba for more surgery - Feb 26, 2012
- Venezuelan presidential candidate says women are his weakness - Sep 03, 2012
Tags: caracas, chemotherapy, efe, fidel castro, hands of god, havana, head of state, hugo chavez, leaving politics, oct 7 election, opinion polls, opposition candidate, political arena, president hugo chavez, presidential ballot, radio station, recurrence, tumour, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez