Campaigning ends for first phase of Chhattisgarh pollsNovember 12th, 2008 - 7:05 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Nov 12 (IANS) Campaigning for Chhattisgarh’s 39 seats, which are scheduled to go to polls Nov 14, ended at 5 p.m. Wednesday.The state has a total of 90 seats and polling for the remaining 51 seats is to be held Nov 20.
Polling will begin at 7 a.m. and end at 3 p.m. for 12 seats in Bastar region, where security personnel have their task cut out to escort voters and polling parties as well.
The polling timing for the rest of the seats will be 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Durg district’s 12 seats, six of Rajnandgaon district, four of Mahasamund district, three of Dhamtari district and two of Kabirdham district go to polls Friday.
Election Commission officials said that exactly 6,400,088 voters, including 3,208,351 female electors of the state’s total 15,207,734 electors are eligible to exercise their franchise at 8,883 polling stations in the first phase. The fate of 379 candidates, including 36 females, would be decided in this phase.
The first phase polling will decide the fate of Chief Minister Raman Singh from Rajnandgaon seat, leader of the opposition and Congress candidate Mahendra Karma from Dantewada and assembly Speaker Premprakash Pandey from Bhilai.
Constituencies of cabinet ministers Ajay Chandrakar from Kurud, and Hemchand Yadav from Durg city besides Congress leader Motilal Vora’s son Arun Vora from Durg city and senior Congress leader Arvind Netam’s daughter Priti Netam from Kanker seat will also see polling Friday.
State’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) besides the Congress and the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) are contesting all the 39 seats in the first phase.
- Chhattisgarh set for elections amid Maoist threats - Nov 13, 2008
- Chhattisgarh set for polls amid Maoist threat (Lead) - Nov 13, 2008
- Voting for first phase of Chhattisgarh polls ends amid violence - Nov 14, 2008
- 83 percent votes cast in Bengal fifth phase (Roundup) - May 07, 2011
- 60 percent turnout in incident-free 6th round of UP poll (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- 39 percent voting till noon in Assam (Third Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
- High voter turnout in sixth phase too (Evening Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- 55 percent polling recoded in West Bengal till 1 p.m. - Apr 27, 2011
- UP polls: 60 percent turnout in incident-free 6th round (Intro Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- Peaceful polling in UP, young Lucknow voters queue up (Third Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Polling peaceful in West Bengal first phase (Intro Roundup) - Apr 18, 2011
- Brisk polling in fifth round of Bengal elections (Third Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Polling brisk and peaceful in Bengal (Fourth Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- Brisk voting in fifth round of Bengal polls (Fourth Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Polling steady, peaceful in round three of UP polls (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2012