Call for industrial shutdown in four Telangana districtsSeptember 30th, 2011 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Sep 30 (IANS) Intensifying further the movement for separate Telangana state, the Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) Friday called for indefinite industrial shutdown in four of the region’s nine districts from Oct 3.
In an attempt to step up the ongoing strike in state-owned Singareni Collieries, the JAC has called for industrial shutdown in Khammam, Warangal, Karimnagar and Adilabad districts.
JAC convenor M. Kodandaram told reporters after a meeting with leaders of various employees’ unions that the “people’s strike” would continue.
The strike by government employees and workers of Singareni continued for the 18th day Friday while the strike by employees of the state-owned Road Transport Corporation (RTC) ensured the state buses remained off the road for the 12th day.
The strike by about 70,000 employees of Singareni Collieries has paralysed coal production in 50 mines spread over four districts. The strike has so far caused a loss of over Rs.300 crore and affected power generation in thermal power stations.
Meanwhile, the state government has decided not to pay salaries to the striking employees for the period of their absence. Over 400,000 employees in Telangana are on strike since Sep 13.
Finance Minister Anam Ramnarayan Reddy told reporters Friday that employees would be paid salaries on Saturday only for the period they attended their duties.
Former state Congress chief D. Srinivas appealed to the government to be sympathetic towards the employees and pay salaries for the entire month to all in view of Dassara festival.
- Telangana leaders heading for Singareni mines held - Oct 09, 2011
- Life hit as 48-hour Telangana bandh begins - Feb 22, 2011
- Complete shutdown in Telangana for second day - Feb 23, 2011
- Singareni's striking miners offered double wages - Sep 24, 2011
- Telangana shutdown paralyses life (Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Bus employees to continue strike for Telangana - Oct 09, 2011
- Telangana remains paralysed for second day - Sep 14, 2011
- Hyderabad shutdown called on Sep 30, rail blockade in October (Roundup) - Sep 26, 2011
- Telangana movement gains momentum, Congress to hold further talks (Roundup) - Oct 01, 2011
- Telangana shutdown Monday, rail blockade cut short - Oct 16, 2011
- Two-day Telangana shutdown begins, bus transport paralysed - Jul 05, 2011
- Life paralysed as 48-hour Telangana shutdown begins (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- 'People's strike' brings Telangana to a halt - Sep 13, 2011
- JAC calls for two-day Telangana shutdown - Jul 04, 2011
- Telangana protest reaches CM's office, strike continues - Sep 26, 2011
Tags: action committee, adilabad, anam, coal production, congress chief, convenor, crore, finance minister, government employees, jac, karimnagar, road transport, rtc, singareni collieries, srinivas, state buses, state congress, striking employees, telangana, transport corporation