Cabinet reshuffle could take place soonSeptember 20th, 2012 - 11:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 20 (IANS) With Trinamool Congress ministers expected to pull out of the government Friday, a cabinet reshuffle could take place over the next few days, Congress sources said.
They said the reshuffle could be take place by the next week to fill vacancies in the cabinet and reallocate work among ministers.
Some ministers may be drafted for party or given responsibilities in the party along with those in the government as part of preparations for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, said the party sources.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi will give final shape to the cabinet reshuflle after talking to allies of United Progressive Alliance government, they said.
Railway Minister Mukul Roy along with five ministers of state from Trinamool Congress are expected to submit their resignations Friday.
Congress sources said that the party is likely to induct a party leader from West Bengal in the cabinet. The names of Deepa Dasmunsi and Adhir Chowdhury have been doing the rounds as possible candidates.
The names of Andhra Pradesh actor-politician Chiranjeevi and former Rajya Sabha deputy chairman K. Rahman are also doing the rounds.
Vacancies have been created by the passing away of Vilasrao Deshmukh and the resigation of Virbhadra Singh. Two ministers belonging to DMK - A Raja and Dayanidhi Maran - had resigned earlier.
Some ministers are holding dual charge. Corporate Affairs Minister M. Veerappa Moily is also looking after the power ministry, while Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi has charge of science and technology.
Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal has been incharge of communications since A. Raja was forced to quit in the wake of 2G spectrum allocation controversy.
There is no indication from the Congress so far that party general secretary Rahul Gandhi will join the government. Congress sources said there was likelihood of his assuming a bigger role in the party.
- Sonia meets PM over cabinet reshuffle (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle likely Tuesday, Big 4 to continue (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle likely Tuesday (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Maran's resignation clears way for cabinet reshuffle - Jul 07, 2011
- Manmohan Singh meets Sonia, cabinet reshuffle likely next week (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- PM meets Sonia, cabinet reshuffle likely next week - Jul 09, 2011
- Ahead of reshuffle, Deora offers to quit - Jul 05, 2011
- PM meets Sonia, cabinet reshuffle likely next week (Second Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- PM meets Sonia, cabinet rejig likely in 3-4 days (Lead) - Jul 10, 2011
- Pranab may meet Karunanidhi (Lead) - Jul 08, 2011
Tags: cabinet reshuffle, congress president sonia gandhi, dayanidhi maran, human resource development, indian affairs minister, kapil sibal, lok sabha elections, manmohan singh, power ministry, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rahul gandhi, railway minister, rajya sabha, spectrum allocation, trinamool congress, vayalar ravi, veerappa, virbhadra singh, west bengal