Cabinet may take up food bill Sunday: ThomasDecember 14th, 2011 - 9:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 14 (IANS) The cabinet may take up the draft National Food Security Bill on Sunday, Food Minister K.V. Thomas said.
“The cabinet is likely to take up the bill Sunday for a more threadbare discussion,” Thomas told reporters here Wednesday, even as Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar has said that states must be taken on board on the crucial legislation.
The cabinet had Tuesday deferred a decision on the draft bill, after some members, including Pawar, raised concerns over the high subsidy involved.
Government sources said that allies have to be taken on board on the issue.
Pawar said the opinion of some states needs to be taken before the draft bill is approved.
“This is a serious issue. Its implementation is a big responsibility for the state governments,” he said, adding “a final discussion on the issue will take place in the next 8-10 days.”
The food bill is a pet project of Sonia Gandhi-led National Advisory Council and formed part of the promise ahead of the 2009 general elections.
The proposed right to food law will cover 75 percent of the rural and 50 percent of the urban population.
- Will Sonia Gandhi's Food Bill past muster? (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Will Sonia Gandhi's food bill pass muster? - Dec 18, 2011
- Cabinet defers food bill as discussions inconclusive (Second Lead) - Dec 13, 2011
- Cabinet to take up food bill - Dec 18, 2011
- Cabinet clears pathbreaking food bill (Roundup) - Dec 19, 2011
- Judicial accountability bill in, food bill deferred - Dec 13, 2011
- Cabinet meet begins, Lokpal not on agenda - Dec 18, 2011
- Cabinet clears food bill (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Cabinet nod to food bill likely Tuesday - Dec 12, 2011
- Cabinet meet likely Sunday on Lokpal, food security bills (Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
- Winter session extended; Lokpal, food bills to be moved Thursday (Second Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Landmark food security bill tabled in parliament (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Food security bill to be tabled in parliament Thursday - Dec 21, 2011
- Food security bill tabled in parliament - Dec 22, 2011
- Government reviews food security bill - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: agriculture minister, allies, draft bill, food bill, food law, food minister, general elections, government sources, implementation, legislation, national advisory council, national food security, New Delhi, pet project, security bill, sharad pawar, sonia gandhi, state governments, subsidy, urban population