Cabinet clears creation of National Population RegisterMarch 19th, 2010 - 6:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 19 (IANS) The cabinet Friday approved the creation of the National Population Register (NPR) that will complement the issue of identity cards to every resident of the country.
“The project would cover an estimated population of 1.2 billion and the total cost of the scheme is Rs.3,539.24 crores,” Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni told reporters after a cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
She said the creation of a digital database with identity details of all individuals along with their photographs and finger biometrics “will result in the creation of a biometrics based identity system in the country”.
Such a database “will enhance the efficacy of providing services to the residents under government schemes and programmes, improve the security scenario and check identity frauds in the country”.
Data for the NPR will be collected along with the house listing and housing census starting in April and will be completed by September.
“Once finalised, the NPR database will be sent to the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) for biometric de-duplication and assigning of a unique identification number. This UID number will be added to the NPR database,” Soni said.
- Both home ministry, UIDAI to gather data, cabinet decides - Jun 07, 2012
- Compromise reached on Unique ID project row - Jan 27, 2012
- Compromise reached on Unique ID project row (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Aadhar targets 200 million enrolments soon - Jan 21, 2012
- Chidambaram gives out smart ID cards in Andamans - Jan 22, 2012
- Morpho helps issue unique identity to 3.5 million people - Mar 16, 2011
- Cabinet approves funding of Phase II of UIDAI scheme - Jul 22, 2010
- Over 2.8 crore unique identity numbers issued - Aug 24, 2011
- India issues two millionth UIDAI number using Morpho's technology - Mar 16, 2011
- Data collection method of unique ID authority finalised (Lead) - May 18, 2010
- Haryana signs unique identification MoU - Jun 10, 2010
- How to get your own unique identity number - May 08, 2011
- Aadhaar to pilot financial, banking services in 50 districts - Apr 18, 2012
- Post offices to distribute unique ID number - Feb 04, 2011
- Cyber expert fears misuse of UID numbers - Aug 12, 2011
Tags: ambika soni, biometric, biometrics, cabinet meeting, census, digital database, efficacy, frauds, government schemes, India, manmohan, manmohan singh, march 19, national population, New Delhi, npr, photographs, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, uid number