Bypoll in Chhhattisgarh begins on dull noteOctober 1st, 2010 - 1:59 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Oct 1 (IANS) Polling for Bhatgaon assembly seat in Chhattisgarh’s Surguja district began on a dull note at 8 a.m. Friday but women were seen lined up in large numbers for voting.
Women voters number roughly 85,000 in the constituency that is located in extreme north of the state and is some 400 km from Raipur. There are 12 candidates for the seat and close to 1,75,000 voters will cast their votes.
Election officials said polling began peacefully at 233 polling booths for the constituency which is considered prestigious for the state’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) that won the seat comfortably in the last polls held in November 2008.
The BJP, which has 47 seats in a 90-member state assembly, is desperate to retain the seat which fell vacant following the death of its sitting legislator Ravi Shankar Tripathi, 55, in a car crash in April. The saffron party has fielded the late leader’s wife Rajni Tripathi while the Congress has picked U.S. Singhdeo of the erstwhile royal family of Surguja as its candidate.
Chief Minister Raman Singh announced that the BJP was fighting the election on the issue of development while the Congress was seeking votes against a government that was ‘mired in corruption and scandals’ since it came to power in December 2003 dislodging Ajit Jogi-led Congress regime.
The Congress has 39 members in the state assembly and it needs to wrest the seat from the BJP to narrow the margin with the ruling party as by-election for one more seat - Balod - in Durg district is set to be held soon following the death of the BJP’s sitting legislator Madanlal Sahu late in August month.
The election result for Bhatgaon seat will be announced Oct 4.
- Nearly 70 percent polling in Chhattisgarh assembly by-poll (Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- BJP, Congress claim victory ahead of Chhattisgarh by-poll results - Oct 03, 2010
- BJP defeats Congress in Chhattisgarh by-poll (Lead) - Oct 04, 2010
- BJP takes firm lead in Chhattisgarh by-election - Oct 04, 2010
- BJP names woman candidate for Chhattisgarh by-poll - Sep 13, 2010
- Congress picks royal scion as candidate for Chhattisgarh by-poll - Sep 10, 2010
- Chhattisgarh assembly by-poll next month - Jan 12, 2011
- Polling underway for Chhattisgarh assembly seat - Feb 14, 2011
- Chhattisgarh ministers violated poll code: Congress - Jan 22, 2011
- BJP faces tough fight in Chhattisgarh by-poll - Feb 05, 2011
- BJP wins by-election in Chhattisgarh - Feb 17, 2011
- 30 percent polling in Chhattisgarh by-election (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- BJP finds it tough choosing Chhattisgarh by-poll candidate - Jan 17, 2011
- 65-70 percent turnout in Chhattisgarh by-poll (Second Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- BJP retains Chhattisgarh assembly seat, Congress admits setback (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: ajit jogi, assembly seat, august month, bjp, car crash, chhattisgarh, chief minister, election result, extreme north, late leader, polling booths, raman singh, ravi shankar, ruling party, saffron party, state assembly, surguja, tripathi, voting women, women voters