Bush speaks with Abbas about ceasefireDecember 31st, 2008 - 4:13 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 31 (DPA) US President George W. Bush spoke with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas Tuesday over efforts to achieve “a sustainable ceasefire” to end the fighting in the Gaza Strip, the White House said.Bush also spoke with Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad and Egyptian President Hosny Mubarak, said Gordon Johndroe, a White House spokesman.
“They agreed that for any ceasefire to be effective, it must be respected, particularly by Hamas,” Johndroe said in Crawford, Texas, where Bush is vacationing.
Johndroe reiterated demands on Hamas to stop launching rockets against Israel, blaming the Islamic militants for the conflict and massive military response by the Israelis.
“These sides know how to end this: Hamas stops firing rockets and Israel will not see a need to protect its people from rocket attacks,” Johndroe said.
Washington will only back a ceasefire that is lasting and adhered to by Hamas, he said.
“We don’t want a ceasefire agreement that isn’t worth the paper it’s written on,” he said.
Israel was in its fourth day of airstrikes in the Gaza Strip, which is controlled by Hamas. Fighting erupted after Hamas declared earlier this month that it would not extend a six-month ceasefire.
At least 369 people have died so far in Gaza. The US has urged Israel to avoid civilian casualties in the conflict and called on both sides to ensure humanitarian aid reaches the tiny enclave.
Meanwhile, the US State Department said it was releasing $85 million in funding to assist Palestinian refugees in the Middle East. The money will be distributed to the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees.
- Hamas foiling Gaza power crisis solution: Palestinian PM - Mar 26, 2012
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Israeli air strike kills one Palestinian in Gaza - Jan 12, 2011
- One killed after Israeli air strikes hit the Gaza Strip in response to rocket fire - Aug 17, 2011
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Hamas must end rocket attacks for lasting truce: Bush - Jan 11, 2009
- US urges Palestinians, Israelis to end violence - Mar 13, 2012
- US admonishes Israel, criticizes Hamas over attacks (Second lead) - Dec 28, 2008
- Israel's Gaza offensive enters second day, 271 killed (Third lead) - Dec 28, 2008
- Palestinian PM resigns for government reshuffle - Feb 14, 2011
- Israeli jets raid Gaza - Feb 12, 2012
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- U.S. to aid West Bank and Gaza with $400 million initiatives - Jun 10, 2010
- Rice blames Hamas for violence in Gaza - Dec 28, 2008
Tags: ceasefire agreement, islamic militants, mahmoud abbas, palestine refugees, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, palestinian prime minister salam fayyad, palestinian refugees, president mahmoud abbas, white house spokesman