Bush shoe-thrower sentenced to three years in prison (Lead)March 12th, 2009 - 5:20 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, March 12 (Xinhua) An Iraqi court Thursday sentenced the Iraqi journalist who threw his shoes at then US president George W. Bush to three years in prison.
Muntadhar al-Zaidi, 30, a reporter with Cairo-based Baghdadia Iraqi Television, pleaded not guilty at the Iraqi Central Criminal Court in Baghdad.
Muntadhar has been in custody after he threw his shoes at Bush during his joint press conference with Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki in Baghdad Dec 14, 2008.
Asked by Judge Abdul Amir Hassan al-Rubaie whether he was innocent, Zaidi immediately answered: “Yes… My reaction was natural, just like any Iraqi would have done.”
The court sentenced Zaidi for three years in jail for his assault on visiting President Bush.
In his previous appearance Feb 19, Muntadhar told the court that he could not control his emotions when he saw in front of him Bush, who ordered war on Iraq in 2003.
He also said that he was not trying to kill the US leader and that Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki was not target of the attack.
Diyaa al-Saadi, head of Muntadhar’s 25-lawyer defence team, said: “Muntadhar did not commit a homicide nor intend to commit one. He was only trying to express his rejection of the killing of his people.”
- Bush shoe-thrower appears in Baghdad court - Mar 12, 2009
- Shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist released - Sep 15, 2009
- Shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist alleges torture (Lead) - Sep 15, 2009
- Shoe throwing Iraqi journalist's release from jail postponed by a day - Sep 14, 2009
- Iraqi shoe thrower's release delayed by a day, says his brother - Sep 14, 2009
- Iraqi shoe thrower freed, alleges he was tortured with electric shocks - Sep 15, 2009
- Shoe-thrower reporter flooded with offers from defence lawyers (Lead) - Dec 17, 2008
- Shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist's trial adjourned - Feb 19, 2009
- Shoe throwing Iraqi journalist appears in court - Dec 17, 2008
- Iraqi PM not to sue Bush shoe thrower - Dec 22, 2008
- Shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist gets three years in prison (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2009
- Iraq frees Saddam Hussein's interior minister - Jul 10, 2012
- Man hurls shoes at judge in Pakistan - Nov 23, 2010
- Now, Navin Jindal becomes another shoe gate target - Apr 10, 2009
- Advani becomes new 'slipper' gate target - Apr 16, 2009
Tags: amir hassan, baghdad, cairo, central criminal court, defence team, emotions, george w bush, homicide, iraqi journalist, iraqi television, nouri al maliki, president bush, president george w bush, prime minister nouri al maliki, rejection, saadi, target, war on iraq, xinhua, zaidi