Bus set on fire, train movement partially hit in BengalMay 31st, 2012 - 12:04 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 31 (IANS) Protestors set fire to a bus, put up road blockades and disrupted train movement in at least one place as the 12-hour shutdown called by the BJP-led NDA against the rise in petrol prices came into effect in West Bengal Thursday.
Fewer private vehicles and taxis were seen on the roads, markets were closed in a few pockets, but most people in Kolkata and the districts went about their daily routine, police said.
In neighbouring Howrah town, supporters of the shutdown torched a stationary state government bus, but there were no injuries.
Police arrested 38 people for trying to disrupt traffic by putting up road blockades in various areas of Kolkata and Howrah.
The pro-shutdown activists also took out processions and demonstrated in some areas of the city.
Train services were disrupted for some time in the Sealdah section of Eastern Railway after protestors squatted on the tracks in a few stations.
Heavy security arrangements have been made with a large posse of police personnel deployed on the roads to maintain peace.
“The situation is peaceful. Life is normal. I have not received reports of any blockades or disruptions,” joint commissioner of city police Javed Shamim told IANS.
- Buses damaged, trains movement disrupted in Bengal (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- West Bengal paralysed due to shutdown - Sep 20, 2012
- Few people on road, trains affected in Bengal - Feb 28, 2012
- West Bengal comes to a halt due to shutdown, strike (Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- Strike evokes partial response; banking, transport hit (Afternoon Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Life paralyzed in West Bengal (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Strike paralyzes life in West Bengal (Lead) - Apr 27, 2010
- Shutdown near-total in Mumbai, most of Maharashtra (Second lead) - May 31, 2012
- Shutdown hits life in West Bengal (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2010
- Congress shutdown paralyses life in Odisha (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Shutdown hits life in West Bengal (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- CPI-M joined BJP in vandalism, says Bengal government - May 31, 2012
- Strike brings life to a halt in West Bengal - Apr 27, 2010
- Anti-price rise strike paralyses life in several states (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2010
- Congress shutdown hits life in Odisha - Sep 10, 2012
Tags: bjp, city police, city train, disruptions, eastern railway, heavy security, javed, kolkata, peaceful life, petrol prices, private vehicles, protestors, road blockades, routine police, security arrangements, shamim, stationary state, train movement, train services, west bengal