Buddhadeb skips CPI-M meetApril 3rd, 2012 - 5:32 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 3 (IANS) Former West Bengal chief minister and politburo member Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee is staying away from the 20th congress of the CPI-M starting Wednesday at Kozhikode in Kerala.
Sources in the Communist Party of India-Marxist Tuesday said Bhattacharjee’s decision was prompted by a respiratory disorder for which he has been advised against flying.
Bhattacharjee has skipped all politburo meetings except the ones held in Kolkata since the party’s debacle in the 2009 Lok Sabha polls.
Critics have often linked his absence from politburo and central committee meetings to strong differences with CPI-M general secretary Prakash Karat.
They said Bhattacharjee had strong reservations about Karat’s decision to withdraw the party’s support to the Congress-led UPA government in 2008 over the India-US civil nuclear deal.
This school of thought feels it was Karat’s decision which led to the alliance between the Congress and Trinamool that ended 34 years of Left rule in West Bengal.
Meanwhile, a 175-member team of leaders from West Bengal left for Kozhikode Tuesday.
- Buddhadeb to skip CPI-M politburo meet again - Oct 16, 2011
- Buddhadeb to skip CPI-M politburo meeting (Lead) - Jun 04, 2010
- Crucial CPI-M politburo, central committee meetings from Tuesday - Jan 16, 2012
- Buddhadeb skips CPI-M central committee meet - Jul 21, 2010
- CPI-M politburo, central committee meet in Kolkata - Aug 05, 2011
- Bhuddhadeb to skip CPI-M politburo meeting - May 15, 2011
- CPI-M's Bengal conference to discuss poll debacle - Feb 15, 2012
- Karat again elected CPI-M boss (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Buddha to attend CPI-M politburo meet - Jul 01, 2010
- CPI-M politburo meets to discuss poll debacle - Jun 10, 2011
- Buddhadeb to skip CPI-M politburo, central committee meetings - Jun 10, 2011
- CPI-M names Achuthanandan, Surayakant Mishra as opposition leaders - May 16, 2011
- CPI-M leadership meets in Kolkata (Lead) - Aug 05, 2011
- CPI-M hopes Buddhadeb will attend central committee meet - Jul 20, 2010
- CPI-M says it is not a one-man party - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: 20th congress, bhattacharjee, central committee, chief minister, committee meetings, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, debacle, general secretary, kolkata, kozhikode, lok sabha polls, member team, nuclear deal, politburo member, prakash, respiratory disorder, school of thought, west bengal